Talk

Advanced search

is having a girl pregnancy, resulting in stillbirth, genetic?

(7 Posts)
humf Tue 22-Sep-09 15:15:12

My dp is an only child, his mum was also pregnant with a girl, which was stillborn. dp first relationship resulted in two healthy boys and a stillborn (girl). We have a son together and i'd like to have another, either but girl would be nice. dp doesn't want anyomre boys and is adamant that because of his history there is no possible way he could conceive a girl. anyone know of medical reason why this would run in the family. There are no girls on my side of the family either and although i have an older son, i did have a miscarriage before him, but did not know the sex.

lynniep Tue 22-Sep-09 15:25:18

I dont know - possibly theres a link. But we're talking about him possibly having a genetic disorder that results in stillborn girls - based on 'only' two incidents. So without the proper testing who knows?

He cannot state 'there is no possible way he can concieve a girl' based on that. (Does he mean theres no possible way his partner can have give birth to a live girl - clearly he can conceive a girl)

But what strikes me is that 'he doesnt want any more boy's' - so that means he doesnt want any more children full stop? - irrespective of what he thinks about his ability to father a girl - because its not as if he can choose - even if he wasnt so convinced he couldnt have a girl.

humf Wed 23-Sep-09 19:49:43

i,ve met quite a few people over the last couple of years who have used specific timing and diet etc to naturally 'sway' the odds of conceiving their chosen sex and been largely successful. He'd love to have a girl, as would i, but even if it turned out to be another boy, i'd love him anyway, just as much. i see what you mean about conception and the actual carrying baby to term, healthily and that his mum and his first partner are not related obviously, so can't be linked. thanks for your thoughts

bluebump Wed 23-Sep-09 19:52:50

Someone I work with had 2 girls who were both early, both born years apart but both before 30 weeks - one survived and one didn't but both her boys were late. I know she has a grandaughter so maybe it wasn't hereditary but she always said she thought that she would never risk another pregnancy in case it was a girl again.

Millarkie Wed 23-Sep-09 19:59:57

Pretty unlikely - there are some very rare X-linked syndromes which would affect boys but not girls but can't think of anything that would affect girls rather than boys (basically girls have two X chromosomes so they have a 'back up ' if one of the genes on an X doesn't work).
You say that there are no girls on your side of the family but aren't you a girl? And what about your mother - also a girl?

humf Thu 24-Sep-09 19:29:56

thanks for all your info, will pass on to dp, see if i can't reassure him.

Sagacious Thu 24-Sep-09 19:37:14

Three friends have never successfully carried boys, but have no problems with girls.

Have not (in my limited nursery/primary school cliques) heard it the other way.
I know thats not a scientific study but its odd enough to create a chatter.

OP if you really think theres a problem best bet is to talk it over with your GP with a referal to someone (ie a geneticist)

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now