Talk

Advanced search

Wimborne Folk Festival this weekend

(22 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 09:27:47

I love it every year. Fingers crossed for good weather. We take dds up during the day to watch the morris dancers, listen to the bands and eat lots of BBQ food and ice cream.
Dh and I get a babysitter for the evening and go back and drink lots of cold beer, sit in the beer garden and listen to more bands.
Fantastic!!

MRSflamesparrow Mon 06-Jun-05 09:33:10

Oooh I forgot!!!

The first year when I'm not pregnant, with a newborn, or with a wedding to go to!!!!

I'll be the one hiding from morris dancers (those guys with their bashy sticks scare me), and with the toddler laying on the floor very quietly throwing a tantrum

DelGirl Mon 06-Jun-05 09:39:05

go every year, it's fab. However, won't be going in the evening this year cos of DD but I might go in the day if the weathers good.

I'll be missing Wareham and Jimmy Etherington this year cos i'm going to a wedding, thats the best night of the year. Either if you been to that?

dizzymama Mon 06-Jun-05 09:42:42

Erm... where is Wimborne? I am totally useless with anything geographical, vague county reference will do! Just wondered if it's close enough to visit, we love that sort of thing

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 09:43:27

Wimborne is in Dorset

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 09:44:07

No Delgirl - haven't been to either or those. We've been going to Wimborne fest for years now - you never know we could have been standing right next to each other and not known it!!

MRSflamesparrow Mon 06-Jun-05 09:45:22

Haven't been to Wareham in years (had completely forgotten about it to be honest ).

I don't think I'll "ask" DH if he wants to go, just wake him up and say "Oh, we're going to Wimborne today, don't you remember, you agreed aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago!"

dizzymama Mon 06-Jun-05 09:46:46

Poo!! Dorset is a bit far for me all tickets for Green man festval (right on our doorstep) have sold out. Thanks though Sparkler

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 09:46:59

We shall have to purchase some MN merchandise and look out for each other. PMSL

DelGirl Mon 06-Jun-05 09:48:12

yeah, ive been going for about 15 years I think, can;t remember.

Wareham, you must must must go if you can its fantastic. He's playing on Wareham quay on 23rd July I think. They've been doing it for about 17 years and all the money raised go's to Multiple Sclerosis. I think they raised about £10k last year. Its such a good night, and they say every year will always be their last. I can't praise them highly enough. They played at the green man a couple of years ago at the wimborne fest but they didnt play last year. The weather is usually good and theres such a fantastic atmosphere i'm so gonna miss it this year, in fact, I may have to think of a way out of the wedding!!!!!1

DelGirl Mon 06-Jun-05 09:58:16

maybe we can organise an mn meet at the weekend if the weathers good, how about it?

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 10:26:13

Sounds good - I will be meeting up with some other friends there too. Not sure where or when yet. I could give one of you my mobile number and maybe you could text me when you are around.

SPARKLER1 Thu 09-Jun-05 17:22:48

Two days to go!!!!!!! Let's hope the weather stays as it has today.

Kittypickle Thu 09-Jun-05 18:52:55

I keep meaning to go to this. DH and I were supposed to book a babysitter, but no suprise, we haven't. Bet it's too late to get one now

DelGirl Thu 09-Jun-05 19:10:05

Hi kittypickle. Have you been before? I know it doesn't quite give you the break you may want but there's always lots of chldren there even in the evenings as alot of the bands play outside, well at the Albion and the Green Man they do and also, is it the White Hart in the square? Anyway, i'm sure they'd love it. Not sure when I shall make it there yet.

Hope you're feeling ok btw

DelGirl Thu 09-Jun-05 19:10:36

sorry, didnt pause for breath did I

Kittypickle Fri 10-Jun-05 11:37:48

Hello Delgirl, how are you both ? I definitely need a night out without my two lovely children and DS gets miserable if he doesn't get enough sleep. I might take them during the day though, is there much going on and where about does it happen ?

DelGirl Fri 10-Jun-05 11:50:36

hi KP. Well it starts tonight but thats just live bands I think. Then there's stuff going on all over wimborne and I mean all over. There are displays, the morris dancers that dance through the streets. I'm sure i've read somewhere that are 2/300 groups that come down from all over the uk for it. Then there's stalls usually in fron of the cathedral and in the square and in the Olive branch car park. best of all there's all the beer tents and live music. Still haven't deicded when i'm going. Maybe tomorrow or sunday afternoon.

SPARKLER1 Fri 10-Jun-05 11:52:11

We will be there in the daytime with the girls and on our own in the evening. Hopefully see you around.

Kittypickle Fri 10-Jun-05 11:53:46

I think we'll definitely give that a go tomorrow after the sodding petunia competition. If you fancy meeting up in the beer tent let me know

SPARKLER1 Fri 10-Jun-05 11:54:46

LOL Petunia competition???? Have I missed something??

Kittypickle Fri 10-Jun-05 11:59:52

For 5 long weeks I have been tenderly looking after a petunia that DD has bought home from school, dutifully feeding it with baby bio as instructed, cutting it when it went leggy as instructed. All for the Stewarts competition. They are filming the children apparently. There's one in the Holt one. I was feeling fairly good about our petunia until I went to my friend's yesterday who lives in Southbourne and has a huge petunia on her window sill for the Stewarts in Christchurch one. I had petunia inferiority complex afterwards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now