Talk

Advanced search

SCHOOL RUN CYCLING AFFICIONADOS: urgently need your advice!

(24 Posts)
SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 09:35:35

I really need to be able to cycle to school with three kids: a young baby (2 months ish), a three yr old and four yr old.

I was originally intending on getting a Trikidoo with a bobike for the baby, but I've only just realised that the bobike is not suitable under 7 months.

Is there any way round this? I have a wrap sling...could I carry the baby in there? My journey is mainly through a park...v good cycle path, and I would think little risk of having an accident, esp on a trike.

Or are there bicycle trailers that are suitable for little babies plus an older kid? And then I could use the bobike for the other kid...

I can spend up to £1000 on whatever solution there might be.

Please help!!

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 10:09:59

bump

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 11:28:02

bump

choccyp1g Fri 18-Sep-09 11:31:32

What about a trailer like they have at Centerparks... I think you can strap the baby into the trailer inside a carseat... but you might not be able to have three in the trailer, might need a child seat on the bike as well.

Fimbo Fri 18-Sep-09 11:33:33

I don't think there is any safe way to carry such a young baby on a bike/trailer combo.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Fri 18-Sep-09 11:33:45

You can get bike trailers that have proper seats that will lie flat, rather than the usual sling type. They are usually ones that can be used as a double pushchair too.

Or there is this insert for a bike trailer for a young baby {{http://www.wondermom.co.uk/acatalog/WeberBabySeat.html here]]

norksinmywaistband Fri 18-Sep-09 11:34:48

Why not walk during winter and buy the bike in a few months time?

LadyPinkofPinkerton Fri 18-Sep-09 11:37:19

will try link again

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 11:37:59

choccyp1g - yes, that's the sort of thing I was hoping to find. Any idea what make they are or where to find them?

LadyPink - Ah, I saw that website...your link doesn't work but if it's the same insert that I sawe it says "not suitable in cycle mode"...hmm Is that the same one?

Fimbo Fri 18-Sep-09 11:40:29

Or buy the bike trailer for the older two and push it (mine's converts to pram mode) with the baby in a sling. Then when baby is old enough get the front seat for a bike.

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 11:42:06

Fimbo - it would take too long to walk all the way.

Fimbo Fri 18-Sep-09 11:43:39

Ah, I did wonder after I posted.

I wonder what the solution could be.

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 11:43:59

Oh whoops - missed lots of posts! That insert is different from the one I saw...will look into it! Thanks

Takver Fri 18-Sep-09 11:46:05

The CTC suggest a baby car seat in a trailer - you could then have your baby & 4 y/o in a trailer, with the 3 y/o on a child seat, for example. Perhaps it would be worth talking to a trailer supplier (Bikes and Trailers in Lewes are good I think)?
You might want to copy your thread into Ethical Living as there's been a lot of discussion of different child carrying bike & trike combos on there.

Fimbo Fri 18-Sep-09 11:46:31

I have just looked at another website which says to strap a baby into a bike trailer using their baby car seat, but it may not leave a lot of room for the second child.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 18-Sep-09 11:49:48

What about a dutchbike?
www.dutchbike.co.uk

Fimbo Fri 18-Sep-09 11:52:30

Oooh I want a dutchbike! Sadly my dc are too old <<borrows neighbour's babies>>

lljkk Fri 18-Sep-09 12:02:57

I don't know if any baby-seat-in trailer option that would allow another child in the same trailer.

How far is too far to walk?

If you really have the money, you could look into getting a tricycle with bench seat on the back for the bigger kids, whilst towing a trailer with baby in a babynest. Not sure how trailer would attach to the trike, but provided you had safety belts for the toddlers, it would be reasonably safe option.

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 12:06:15

Oooooooooooh at the Dutch bike! Esp this one! Do you think you can safely carry a car seat in it?

Thanks SO much for the advice...I was beginning to despair. I will post this on ethical living and have a browse on the old threads.

Ivykaty44 Fri 18-Sep-09 12:16:10

A tandem with kiddey cranks so your 4 year old can sit behind and pedal with a trailer out the back for baby and a child seat for 3 year old on the back of the tandem behind the 4 year old...!
Tis the only way I can see of getting all of you on one bike and trailer but watch your balence smile

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 15:10:41

Oh Lordy! That sounds very...LONG! grin I think I'd be scared.

Have been looking at Bakfiets and Christianas. There's a whole world of trikes out there - I had no idea!

bradscan Fri 18-Sep-09 20:22:47

We had a Christiania bike when we lived in Copenhagen--I got it to take my 10-year-old to school when he broke his leg and it was our best purchase ever. I think you could easily transport all three children. The older two could sit on the seat and the baby go in a car seat in front of them--you'd have to find a way of attaching the car seat to the bike. We LOVED our Christiania bike!

bellabike Tue 13-Oct-09 14:57:43

I have had a Bellabikesmile for nearly a year now and can do the school run with my 7,5 and 2 year old.I just wish I had got one sooner. With 4 boys under 9 this is my way of keeping fit and toned and doing my bit for the congested school run.

It's similar to the Christiania bike,except that it steers from the rear, making it exceptionally easy to manoeurvre.You can also design the box to your own personal taste which is funky.

In Denmark parents put babies in them using either a carseat or a carrycot strapped in. The Bellabike also has the option of a reclining seat, which I have found really useful when my youngest falls asleep.

We loved it so much that we have set up a business to make it available to families in the UK.

Check out www.kidsandfamilycycles.co.uk

More than happy to share my cycling experiences with all these types of bikes.

iheartdusty Tue 13-Oct-09 15:06:20

OP, I have a weber insert like the one on that link which I would sell - we barely used it.

We have a Captain Chariot trailer, it fits on the seat and the other child sits beside.

contact me if you're interested on hc dot tarantelle at gmail dot com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now