Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question about Internet

(10 Posts)
Chickyboo Sun 05-Jun-05 11:40:07

Can you use your laptop and log on to internet at other locations. I go to my MIL quite often and would like to have access to internet there or at least e-mail. can anyone help me I am a computer idiot

starlover Sun 05-Jun-05 11:41:39

only if she has internet access at her house...

essbee Sun 05-Jun-05 11:43:43

Message withdrawn

Nightynight Sun 05-Jun-05 11:53:29

No - you can access the internet via a 56k modem, even if she doesn't have internet access. You just need to set up a connection on your laptop where you pay as you go, and it will be billed to her.

I have a freenet mega preiskneller connection set up on my laptop for use in Germany, it works from any German phone line. Try a google search for "pay as you go internet" or something similar.

Otherwise, if she has internet access, just run her CD through your laptop to get the connection set up for you.

hub2dee Sun 05-Jun-05 12:09:17

Chickyboo: Do you access the Net by dialing up with a modem or are you permanently connected by ADSL / broadband ?

If dial up, just unplug cable from phone socket and plug in at MIL's. NB - some ISPs use the caller id of your home number to bill / log you on. This will mean you can't log on from MIL's unless you are given a special number to dial.

If you're on broadband, you can take laptop to MIL, and just buy an ethernet cable to plug into the back of her router.

If you have a wireless network at home, or there is one at MIL's and you have a wireless card in your laptop, you will be able to log on to her network with no prob (may require a network name / password / someone fiddling with the 'permitted machines' list, depending on security settings).

HTH.

sadom Sun 05-Jun-05 19:14:58

If none of the foregoing work, why not try the local public Library, and see if they have an Internet Cafe. If so you may be able to get to your email if its located on the web eg Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo nad the like.

Chickyboo Sun 05-Jun-05 21:35:34

there is no internet connection and I have dial-up connection. I was hoping that I could add her phone number to netwrork connections on computer. Think I'll just access e-mail on my phone if I can work it out!!!

hub2dee Sun 05-Jun-05 21:56:32

Then you don't need to do anything do you ?

Just plug your laptop and modem cable into her wall socket and off you go, nicht ?

It should be identical to connecting to the Net from your home.

(Post why it's not and I'll help further if I can).

Chickyboo Mon 06-Jun-05 07:53:53

thanks I'll try it later

hub2dee Mon 06-Jun-05 08:42:55

No worries. Happy surfing. That point I made further down about caller ID might come into play, in which case you'll have to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now