Talk

Advanced search

The definitive pronouncement on class

(4 Posts)
Quattrocento Mon 14-Sep-09 21:22:02

Article from the Standard - which I thought would finally settle the ongoing debate about how to define class

Hello! to a new social order

It is an unworthy thought, I know, but I wonder if it was someone in Princess Michael of Kent's circle who leaked to the press the fact that her son Freddie Windsor and his bride, Sophie Winkleman, turned down £600,000 to let Hello! photograph their wedding.

It would be too tempting a piece of one-upmanship for most of us to resist, particularly when Princess Anne's son was offered £100,000 less … and accepted!

There are only two slight dents in this social triumph. One is the shame of £600,000 being described as a “life-changing amount” by one's own servants.

The other is having Ingrid Seward, editor of Majesty magazine — whom they let photograph the whole shebang for free — describe it with ungrateful haughtiness as “not a massively significant wedding — along the lines of the Duke of Gloucester's kids, I suppose”.

Still, the principle is established. Celebrity magazines have become the most exact guides to the social hierarchy.

The new class system goes, in order, like this.

1) Turns down lots of money from Hello!
2) Turns down less money from Hello!
3) Accepts money from Hello!
4) Not offered money by Hello!
5) Reads Hello!

CatherineofMumbles Tue 15-Sep-09 16:23:11

QC - I think you have nailed it!

caramelwaffle Fri 18-Sep-09 12:05:56

Hmmmmm. Where do you stand if you read "Take a Break" ?

Or "Yours" wink

belgo Fri 18-Sep-09 12:09:30

grin very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now