Talk

Advanced search

Day four of no telly.. and I rather like it [shock]

(13 Posts)
Enid Fri 03-Jun-05 12:37:57

due to builders we have no tv room and therefore no tv/sky/video

And do you know, it has been rather nice. No annoying ads, the kids have watched a couple of dvds on the pc and dh and I have talked and listened to music in the evenings.

And the children haven't been in the slightest bit bothered.

Granted we have had to go out a lot as the builders are very noisy but on the whole it has been great.

I don't even care about Big Brother

lilibet Fri 03-Jun-05 12:40:12

It's a different life Enid - we had no tv for about 7 years and I wish that I could go back to it. But I'm addicted now. I try and be selective but it's very difficult.

and we didn't have children which does make a world of difference. DD was 2 when we got one.

MarsLady Fri 03-Jun-05 12:40:23

You will Enid.... you will [evil grin]

katierocket Fri 03-Jun-05 12:41:40

I think it's always interesting how little kids miss telly and how much you think they will miss it.

I know what you mean about radio though. There are so many interesting programmes on Radio 4 and the like and I frequently waste time watching crap on TV instead.

PiccadillyCircus Fri 03-Jun-05 12:42:15

I sometimes think about having no television. Most of what is on is not good. DS doesn't watch much so it wouldn't be too much of a problem for him.

I prefer music and reading.

Think I might be a bit sad really .

katierocket Fri 03-Jun-05 12:42:43

I did make a promise to myself few months ago only to watch telly if there was something I really wanted to watch and not to just watch for the sake of it. Have tried to stick to it and have to say it's much better than aimlessely flicking (which I am the queen of!)

PiccadillyCircus Fri 03-Jun-05 12:44:00

We've been trying to do that as well. And I think it is working.

Of course, when DS2/DD arrives in September and I am struggling with 2 under 2 then I may well be changing my tune .

Enid Fri 03-Jun-05 12:46:42

I love telly normally but it has been really really nice not having one.

The trouble is, when we have one, the kids pester to watch it and I give in. As they know there is no way they can watch it now, they don't ever ask.

Dh worked out that we could buy 3 or 4 DVD's a month for the money that we pay to SKY...

meggymoo Fri 03-Jun-05 12:53:02

Message withdrawn

Enid Fri 03-Jun-05 13:09:20

also the pc is in our living room now and dh said "if i have to watch you typing on mumsnet at night I will lose the will to live".

so no mumsnet either

katierocket Fri 03-Jun-05 13:10:23

good god. Get telly back pronto.

teeavee Fri 03-Jun-05 13:18:07

meggymoo!
I would like to be brave enough to get rid of the telly for good - we lived without one for about 2 years when we were younger, and definitely listened to more music, went to cinema more, etc.
But we were going out much more at that time, and no kids.....

suedonim Fri 03-Jun-05 20:35:25

DD2 was busy telling me that her friend's TV has been broken for months. I asked dd what her friend does instead and she replied 'Goes round to other people's houses to watch tv, of course!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now