Talk

Advanced search

Help - need to look good in a photo

(20 Posts)
Prufrock Thu 02-Jun-05 14:22:25

We (me, dd and ds) are having our photo taken for a newspaper article tomorrow am. Now I know none of you can help with the huge spot I have on my chin, but does anybody know what the best thing to wear is - I can't remember whether it's plain white or black, or patternsthat are meant to make you look better in print

flobbleflobble Thu 02-Jun-05 14:23:35

Which paper & why? Sounds jolly exciting!
Sorry have no idea about how to dress for photos though..

SenoraPostrophe Thu 02-Jun-05 14:24:11

I think you'd look best in a big flouncy hat.

Iklboo Thu 02-Jun-05 14:24:31

Slap a load of toothpaste on the spot tonight to dry it out. Yes, yu'll smell like a polo mint, but it might go down a bit. I think it's black that makes you look better in photos. All the MPs & stuff in our local wear dark colours.

Puff Thu 02-Jun-05 14:24:39

I'd say stick with light colours and no patterns.

tiffini Thu 02-Jun-05 14:25:52

Put toothpaste on your spot before you go to bed tonight, it is sopposed to make a big difference, never tried it myself though.

tiffini Thu 02-Jun-05 14:26:18

ooops, crossed posts

bakedpotato Thu 02-Jun-05 14:27:39

Oh, and I once read an interview with Elizabeth Hurley (who I happen to know is a regular poster on this site, hi Elizabeth) in which she said you should always angle your arms so the inside of the elbows points camerawards. Apparently it makes your arms look slimmer.
Can't say I've ever noticed it improved things for me, but hey.

SenoraPostrophe Thu 02-Jun-05 14:27:45

Sorry. But I don't think you have to worry really. Will the photo be in colour or black and white? I think it depends on the background though anyway. Why don't you have a couple of jackets/tops handy and ask the photographer? (i presume it won't be a full length photo)

Blu Thu 02-Jun-05 14:33:47

And keep your head slightly forward rather than tilted back. Study portrait pics in magazines, and look at what professional celebrities do!

Prufrock Thu 02-Jun-05 14:35:36

Not exciting at all - I'm expounding on the benefits of investing in healthcare (and convieniently ignoring the fact that my dh works for the company that runs the fund I invest in)

Ha Bloody Ha SP. I'm relying on the tummy disguising properties of two children on my knee, and the spot disgising properties of Laura Mercier. D'you think the Sunday times photo desk runs to airbrushing?

suzywong Thu 02-Jun-05 14:43:06

is she really a regular poster or are you teasing bakedpotato?
(and is Waterlow park finished yet btw?)

can't help you with the photo ideas, I always look alarming

acnebride Thu 02-Jun-05 14:55:22

Sit/stand 3/4 on to the camera (i.e. half way between facing directly and staring off to the side) and then aim your face directly at it.

LeahE Thu 02-Jun-05 15:40:26

Following on from acnebride's comments -- while doing that, put your wreight on your back foot and lift the heel of your front foot off the floor.

Puff Thu 02-Jun-05 15:48:57

ooh yes, does EH really post on here?

<gullible emoticon>

LeahE Thu 02-Jun-05 15:58:27

Ah, But not if you're sitting down, obviously. Although if you can find some "wreight", wahtever that is, feel free to put it on your back foot...

bakedpotato Thu 02-Jun-05 18:29:30

Waterlow Park is finished, SuzyW, grand opening ceremony today, of course it was too windy for the tethered hot-air balloon to take off (i hear there was one brief inflation) and the promised pony-rides failed to materialise, but that's just nitpicking, the park looks good.

suzywong Fri 03-Jun-05 02:02:34

awwwwwww.......I spent so many happy hours in Waterlow park (and dark miserable cold wet ones when ds1 spent his second winter waking up at 5am, I was in there by 7.30)

I bet it looks good, have they put in anymore playground equipment.

On the thread subject, always make sure your chin is high to avoid jowels, or is that just me?

eldestgirl Fri 03-Jun-05 06:39:29

Oh yes, don't lean your head back. I get a hideous treble chin.
Princess Di always went for a dark top with a high neck in portrait photos and I always thought that looked good.
Put loads of slap on. I went to a wedding once and opted for the natural look as I was sharing a room with friends who literally trowelled it on. Was gutted when I saw the photos. They all looked really good and I looked as if I desperately needed some sleep.
hth.

Prufrock Fri 03-Jun-05 07:42:39

You are all contradicting each other .

Well teh jasmine and Lilly Healing mask has done it's work on the spot. Make up will be troweled shortly, and chin will be sort of down, but not too much so I don't get jowels. But I'm still needing help on whether the light reflecting properties of plain white, or the absorbing properties of plain black will make me look better - Quick ladie - I have to go iron soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now