Talk

Advanced search

Calling computer bofffins - DH says you wont be able to help - please prove him wrong!!

(6 Posts)
zippy539 Wed 01-Jun-05 20:54:40

It would be great if anyone could help me with this one. I've got some work stuff on a disk which was created on MS Works 3.0 for Mac (about 7 years ago...). I've now got a PC and can't read the file (or even decompress when I got DH to email it to me - it's got .sit on the end) - DH has a Mac but can't read it either. Does anyone know how I might be able to get access to the info on the disk. I would be eternally grateful as I need it quite urgently. Please prove DH wrong and demonstrate the awesome power of Mumsnet!!!

LeahE Wed 01-Jun-05 20:57:49

You can get Stuffit Expander for Windows at http://www.stuffit.com/win/expander/index.html, which should unzip a .sit file

debs26 Wed 01-Jun-05 20:58:01

google for macsee. its a shareware piece of software which allows you to read mac disks on pc. good luck, thank dp if it works (but please dont hold me responsible if it doesnt)

zippy539 Wed 01-Jun-05 21:05:20

Thanks leah and Debs - I'll go off and have a look. Thanks loads!!

LeahE Wed 01-Jun-05 21:06:22

When it comes to the actual conversion, if you can't directly open it from within the relevant Windows application you may be stuck with having to buy a commercial conversion utility like Conversions Plus (from dataviz.com) for $70 or so. That should do the job but obviously it's whatever $70 works out to in sterling. You can download it from their website so you could at least get it immediately.

There might be a free or cheaper product that does the same thing but I don't know of one.

zippy539 Wed 01-Jun-05 21:38:03

Thanks again - I'm downloading everything as we speak! I've got everything crossed that this is going to work but if I can't do this myself - what sort of company could I approach to sort it for me (don't even know where to start with the Yellow Pages).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: