Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE ADVICE ME - AM DESPERATE

(43 Posts)
huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:10:27

I posted earlier than my ds2 has really bad chicken pox. anyway he has been crying for hours and i cant take much more. have had to put him in his cot so i can calm down. im reaching the end of my tether - how can i stop him crying????

Magscat Wed 01-Jun-05 20:11:12

Have you tried calpol or anti-histamine medicine?

aloha Wed 01-Jun-05 20:12:19

Have you given Calpol, Piriton and baby nurofen? that often works and can be given together.
a bath sometimes helps them stop crying.

Xena Wed 01-Jun-05 20:12:41

Huggybear have you seen your G.P. to rule out something else as well? If not could you contact your out of hours service?

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:13:14

he's had both and hes covered in calamine lotion. hes screaming and screaming and i cant shut him up, i know he feels poorly but im so frustrated. i need him to be quiet

Aimsmum Wed 01-Jun-05 20:13:29

Message withdrawn

sammac Wed 01-Jun-05 20:14:41

Is he in a darkened room cos bright lights will hurt his eyes. Agree with the calpol/piriton/nurofen too. Can he be taken out for a walk in his buggy, or a run in a car?

Thinking of how else to help for you. xx

Magscat Wed 01-Jun-05 20:14:43

What have you put on the spots ? Presumably you've tried calamine lotion? I used water with a tiny drop of lavender oil - ds said it was better but probably not the most powerful thing if he's really bad.

WigWamBam Wed 01-Jun-05 20:14:59

Poor little soul, he must be feeling really ill. Sometimes calamine lotion can make the spots feel worse, because it can dry them out and make them itch even more. If you've got some bicarbonate of soda in the cupboard, try mixing it to a thick paste with a little water, wash the calamine off with cool water then put the bicarb paste on instead, see if that makes a difference.

AtHomeMum Wed 01-Jun-05 20:15:44

lacto calamine seems to relieve itching
also trim nails to prevent scratching & medised is good for mine to help them sleep if you haven;t given anything alse

Magscat Wed 01-Jun-05 20:17:13

Does he quieten when you cuddle him ? I.e. is it frustration with the itching or is he in real pain ?
Could anyone else hold him for a little while to give you some rest?

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:18:07

i know he feels poorly and i feel really evil about wanting him to shut up. you know that feeling when you know your about to snap. havent got any bicarbinate of soda stuff will get some tomorrow. i can hear him screamimg. dh is at the supermarket or i'd get him to take him out in the car. i just need him to stop crying and screaming so i can help him. his room is dark. he keeps throwing himself around his cot

aloha Wed 01-Jun-05 20:18:15

how old is he? what have you given him and how long ago? what about a bath? how is he now? how are YOU?

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:20:06

i feel like a spring thats been turned and turned iykwim. thats why hes in his cot upstairs and not able to go in there atm cause i just get more frustrated... am very stress atm

hes 14 months old

notime Wed 01-Jun-05 20:21:42

if his temp is ok and there appears to be nothing else wrong other than his chick pox I would put him in his cot and leave him but check regularly. If he didnt settle I would ring nhs direct.
i hope he feels better soon and you get some time to yourself

aloha Wed 01-Jun-05 20:21:47

what have you givren him? how long ago? has he eaten? do you have wine?! know how you feel. take adeep breath. post a bit.

Magscat Wed 01-Jun-05 20:21:54

How long till dh is back from supermarket?

aloha Wed 01-Jun-05 20:22:45

also, drink a big glass of water. it can be calming (for you)

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:24:18

calpol - max dose about an hour ago
piriton stuff - same time
calamine lotion - same time

dh not long left before he started screaming.

im not coping v well

WigWamBam Wed 01-Jun-05 20:24:58

Is his room cool, has he got pyjamas on? Heat can aggravate the itching, too. If you can bear to go in to him, strip him off and maybe sponge him down with cool water. Do you have any porridge oats? An oatmeal bath might help (put the oats in the leg of a pair of tights and hang it underneath the tap while you run the water).

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:26:56

hes wearing a vest, nothing else. his rooms just normal. i know is probably a good idea to bath him but i cant face the noise

mytwopenceworth Wed 01-Jun-05 20:27:04

when my 2 had chicken pox they were in a lot of pain especially when some of the spots got infected - is that the case with your poor lad, cos if so, he will be in agony. my kids hated calamine so we (in desperation) tried savlon. it seemed to cool and sooth (we kept it in the fridge) and they were happy to have it put on

RTKangaMummy Wed 01-Jun-05 20:28:07

What about a bath with bicarb in?

huggybear Wed 01-Jun-05 20:28:08

his spots only came out this morning. he has loads though.

aloha Wed 01-Jun-05 20:28:50

ring him and tell him to come hme and to vbring baby nurofen with him. drink the water and breathe from your belly, not your chest. put your shoulders down and back and vigorously shake the tension out of your arms and shoulders.
run the bath! get in it youself if the yelling stops!
has your ds eaten? could he be hungry/thirsty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now