Talk

Advanced search

Monthly spend

(12 Posts)
bibiboo Wed 01-Jun-05 16:13:01

Not being nosey, honest, I just want a few comparisons and maybe a good talking to about ym finances!

I just chalked up our monthly spend and we've been overspending by about £200 a month lately. Roughly broken down as:
1000 on bills, mortgage etc - can't be changed
100 on petrol - can't be changed
300 on food shopping - am v careful not to buy junk
70 on eating out - could be halved, but only 1 night out a month then
450 miscellaneous spending - could be cut drastically, but how? This tends to be various baby things like nappies, wipes etc, presents for birthdays, and odds for the house which aren't every month expenses, a couple of tins of paint, a new breadbin, etc.

How can I save money here?

TIA

AtHomeMum Wed 01-Jun-05 16:16:50

Try using cash only for misc items - if you run out one month you have to wait until next. For each month you would have to plan birthday presents etc that you would expect, and budget for nappies etc, but it might help.
good luck!

MarsLady Wed 01-Jun-05 16:17:39

ok, presents.

This is my budget for them

Presents for kids to take to parties £5 which incls everything. I recycle paper from gifts and make my kids make cards.
Adults/friends/family £10 for singles £15 for couples.
Teachers £5

I shop creatively and I like the pressies to look expensive. If I don't spend the full amount then I pat myself on the back and say well done.. eg. if I have a £10 budget and spend £6 I don't spend the other £4.

I buy bogofs. I have a children's present box and an adult present box. If I see something lovely that has been reduced drastically then I buy it and pop it in my box.
hth

almostanangel Wed 01-Jun-05 16:19:04

oi arnt you supposed to be making cupsa tea

northerner Wed 01-Jun-05 16:20:12

Marslady - I do the present box thing too.

Also must confess to 'recycling' some of ds's presents if he gets something I know he wont play with or if he gets duplicate gifts.

MarsLady Wed 01-Jun-05 16:20:50

she's been delayed so I'm using you to kill time lol

MarsLady Wed 01-Jun-05 16:22:09

I also recycle gifts. If I get something that I don't particularly like I pop it into my box, with a little sticky telling me who gave it to me so that I don't give it to the person who gave it to me. (Does that sound mean?)

almostanangel Wed 01-Jun-05 16:24:02

hhmph what did i send you in the swap!! lol

almostanangel Wed 01-Jun-05 16:24:21

thats recycling mars!

MarsLady Wed 01-Jun-05 16:24:24

gotta go. Guests you know. And lovely lemon drizzle cake. Yummy!!!!!!!!!

ambrosia Wed 01-Jun-05 16:26:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bibiboo Wed 01-Jun-05 16:34:32

Thanks Marslady - I like your present box idea. I do always do the BOGOF, but that bumps up my bills some months because i'm buying more. I'm just going to have to leave my purse at home I guess.

Does that sound like a normal months expenditure though or am I being silly with my money?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now