Talk

Advanced search

Funny driving test stories!!

(14 Posts)
welshone51 Thu 03-Sep-09 14:33:49

Hi all I have recently passed my driving test on my 8th attempt! All of my previous driving tests didnt go at all well- I think on my 2nd test I failed on 5 things!! My 6th test was a disaster too at one point the driving examiner had to grab the wheel- oops!! Also on that test I did all the moving off checks without starting the engine!! I am a competent driver now IMO and think the majority of the mistakes I made on the tests were due to sheer panic and nerves.
Has anyone else got any funny driving test stories??? grin

NeverLeapfrogOverAUnicorn Thu 03-Sep-09 21:36:27

Well, I drove 40 in a 30 and my examiner had to point it out. And then I was at a traffic light controlled crossroads and the lights went green and I moved forward and turned right - and a car nearly smashed into the front passenger side. Guess who'd forgotten that the lights were also green for the cars ahead? blush

Needless to say - I failed.

Oh - and I failed to spot a cyclist and nearly hit him. I forgot about that one.

Still, I passed 2nd time with only 3 minor faults. - 2 slightly wobbly on a roundabout (hand controls ffs!!) and one because I went slightly closer to a parked car than she would have liked.

hurumph.

branflake81 Fri 04-Sep-09 15:27:24

I changed lanes without checking my mirror and crashed into a van

I got crashed into from behind at a roundabout (not my fault)

I drove too close to parked cars and the examinier had to grab the wheel

I came sailing down a hill and slammed into a kerb

On my very first test I was so nervous I read out the number plate wrongly during the sight test

I couldn't open the bonnet for the technical questions.

I tried to set off with the hand brake on

I took seven tests, although I can laugh about it now it wasn't very funny at the time!

ThisBoyDerekDrew Fri 04-Sep-09 15:29:36

Not a driving test...but my DP is a driving instructor but apparently once when teaching a pupil the emergency stop they slammed their foot on the accelerator instread of the break shock....

PortAndLemon Fri 04-Sep-09 15:43:08

A former colleague had a driving test where they turned onto a road to find that it was almost entirely blocked by [I forget what exactly... a very large truck or a tanker or a complicated breakdown]. Couldn't fit past on the road going forwards, couldn't go back [again I forget why, possibly traffic]. So they sat there for several minutes until the examiner suggested driving half on the pavement to get round. "Isn't that illegal?" asked my colleague. Examiner looked embarrassed and said "I'll tell you what, I'll suspend the test now and we'll resume it once you're on the far side of the obstacle". So they did, and he passed...

UnquietDad Fri 04-Sep-09 15:48:49

My DB is an examiner and he once failed someone before they even started the engine. I think it was something to do with failing to do the correct pre-start-up checks!

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 04-Sep-09 15:51:42

Yay Welshone! Well done!

My own attempts....
well, on the one I actually passed I couldn't work out how to unlock the car so the examiner could get in, and had to get my instructor to come out and show me how blush

The one before that where I came nearest to passing was funny in an annoying sort of way: I'd nearly finished and was backing into a bay, lined up beautifully to go into it, when someone nipped in in front of me and stole the space angry. I kept my head, pulled forward again, lined up to go into the next space, reversed back beautifully into it.... and failed because I'd failed to notice that the w*nker who'd nicked my space was an inch over the line into my space so I apparently was committing a serious fault by going into it.hmm

My favourite story is a friend of mine who was taking his test in Belfast in the 80s. The examiner was new to the area, directed him into a road where some kids started throwing stones at the car, so the examiner freaked out and got him to drive straight back to the test centre and passed him despite the test only having lasted about 10 minutes grin

PortAndLemon Fri 04-Sep-09 15:55:24

So what did you do with the body of the guy who stole your space?

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 04-Sep-09 16:03:59

Oh he made a sharp getaway when he saw the look on my instructor's face.

welshone51 Fri 04-Sep-09 18:15:14

Hehe- I glad it wasnt just me who has had these experiences, I thought branflakes test stories were ace- I have never crashed into anyone on my test but this is probably the only thing I didnt do.

Kathys story is really funny- I would have been so _pissed off_ annoyed with it.

I may have been the pupil who put foot on the accelerator and not the brake. (haha)

ThisBoyDerekDrew Fri 04-Sep-09 20:31:09

Oh and another one. A test candidate once crashed into DPs car before they had even left the test centre.

AngryWasp Fri 04-Sep-09 20:37:00

My mum took many tests but passed the one where she downed a large shot of whisky beforehand!

Mamazon Fri 04-Sep-09 20:37:20

i passed on my 3rd attempt. my first attempt i had a woman examiner that clearly idn't like me. i was cnvinced she failed me on things that didn't happen.
so i went to a different test centre for my second.
I failed this time as i kept making silly mistakes due to being so nervous after the first attempt.

3rd attempt i went back to the normal centre. as soon as the woman came out and called my name i kinda lost the plot. i stood up and in a really loud voice said to my instructer "oh well thats that then. im never gonna f'ing pass now am i. she frikkin hates me"
and i huffed my way to the car.

i was convinced she'd fail me no matter what i did so i just drive around rather relaxed.
when she told me at the end that i had passed i didn't belive her and said "your trying to take ths piss cos of what i said aren't you"

she ha to show me the sheet before i believed her.

my instructor came back to the car with a sad look and i had to say no no its ok i passed!

im now a fantabulous driver obviously

jkklpu Fri 04-Sep-09 20:38:27

I know someone who failed because he was so nervous that he couldn't remember where he'd parked the car outside the examination office.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now