Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE help messenger plus upgrade has Bu**red up my laptop

(12 Posts)
melsy Tue 31-May-05 19:43:07

I now get milions of pop ups and it defualted to its own sponsers home page as mine. Its added loads to my faves and made it all work really slowly. Ive done a spybot search and destroy but its not done anything. Is there a way of just removing the upgrade but keeping msnnger plus ????

melsy Tue 31-May-05 19:46:59

bumpy bump

SoupDragon Tue 31-May-05 19:52:12

download and run some more spyare programmes. Adaware and Spysweeper both got rid of loads. SS is a 30 day free trial.

tamula Tue 31-May-05 19:52:29

What does your laptop run on? windows 98? 2000? xp? if xp home or professional? do you have virus protection? norton? microsoft?....

press your start button
click on control panel
click on add/remove programmes
search for the msn upgrade and click on remove

you can delete the favs it has added you can also re-choose your home page and windows has had a pretty good pop-up blocker in place for some time now, something may have been disabled in the upgrade, you may havve to search for it!

lucy5 Tue 31-May-05 19:54:21

There is something called restore points which you can get to through control panel. It basically takes you back to a date before you changed it but you would lose the new msn. Sorry its a bit vague but im sure if you looked under help you would find it.

tamula Tue 31-May-05 19:55:35

choose your 'free' pc protection packages carefully, many of them come with a host of pop-ups and spyware as standard.

I trust ad-aware.com by lavasoft, but i dont have the free one, i have the paid one which incidentally is the dogs b****s

Good luck

SoupDragon Tue 31-May-05 19:58:14

Links to ad-aware and spy sweeper are on this thread I had no trouble with either of them - no odd popups or anything and SpySweeper uninstalled nicely after my trial expired.

melsy Tue 31-May-05 21:39:29

Thanx for info , I was able to uninstall all the sponsers bits from messnger plus , so it runs withought all the cr*p !!

Ive got a complete package with norton that came with my windows XP and my wireless box came with its own security . Its just that when I usually upgrade messenger plus stuff I normally tick the box to disallow sponsers additional stuff. I wasnt paying attention this time!!! silly me

melsy Tue 31-May-05 21:40:33

Think I might run spy sweeper and ad aware anyway. Good to make sure its all clean.

HappyDaddy Tue 31-May-05 21:46:31

Install the free version of Zone Alarm, it's a firewall, virus scanner and pop up blocker in one. It's really good, plenty of City banks use it and I use it at home.

melsy Tue 31-May-05 22:10:46

ta happy daddy , think this wil be the most scanned laptop on the block!!! seems ok after spy sweeper free scan.

toomanypushchairs Tue 31-May-05 22:19:48

I also have this problem. Have had to go back and restore the laptop to a previous date(before I had the new msn!) happydaddy,can u do me a link to the free service you talk about? pleeease????thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now