Talk

Advanced search

how can i make sure she gets in?

(11 Posts)
Evesmama Mon 30-May-05 22:25:11

judging by the million threads i have going, it seems we are hoping to move house!

now dd has her name down at a nursery close to us now, who have already accepted her..i have also put her name down for the one which i wanted her to go to, but we are not in the catchment.

the place we are moving too has about 4 or 5 nursery/infant/junior schools.....how to i ,make sure she gets in one of them??she's not three till next april, but the schools shes registered with are nothing in comparison to those in the new area and would prob be unlikely to get it living much farther away from them???

am going to ring round, but wondered is anyone..teachers/other mums would be able to advise???

spacecadet Mon 30-May-05 22:29:48

you can put your name down for a school not in catchment, if you are moving, but they wont offer you a place until you complete or theday you get the keys, so no garuntees until then, some schoolsare in charge of their own admissions and will consider your child before you move there, all this rests on places, you may be refused a place in a n in catchment school because they are full.they are only allowed 30 in a class and always consider the in catchment children first.

Evesmama Mon 30-May-05 22:32:33

thing is..new house is in such a big area..i may fall under the catchment for one..but maybe not preferd one???

spacecadet Mon 30-May-05 22:43:34

but you can still put your name down for an out of catchment one, if they have a low intake that year, you will get a place

Evesmama Mon 30-May-05 22:46:29

i am considerably worried that i may not get dd in any of them?..as they have just had to open a new school to cope with increasing numbers?...sorry, just v.worried as this is main reason we are moving..sorry to be a worry wart

spacecadet Mon 30-May-05 22:49:05

the only wasy you can find out is to ring the admissions office at the council, they will tell you what the numbers are looking like, dont be despondant though, my dd and ds go to one of the best schools round here, 10 milesaway out of catchment.(high school)

Evesmama Mon 30-May-05 22:51:55

aw thanks for that
just want to make sure she gets a good education and doesnt get held back by the likes of the people where we are now
although i myself lived not far from here when i was growing up..things have changed massivly and i dont want her to have to accept 'this' as how it is...want to give her the best start, so if that means sacrifice on our part(me and dp), then thats what we'll do!...just want the best for her

spacecadet Mon 30-May-05 22:59:37

theresnothing wrong with that, we just pulled out of buying a house because. a neighbourswere a nightmare
b ds2 didnt get into the in catchment school which is excellent but was ofered a place at alesser school with a rubbish ofstedreport, so we are staying put, our local prim ary school is good but the sec school isnt, hence my eldest 2 dont go there.

Evesmama Mon 30-May-05 23:06:02

its so complex isnt it..but understandable in some ways...we should be able to put our children in any school and they should all receieve the same excellent level of teaching/ability to learn without problems...what are the lesser ones there for FGS!

spacecadet Tue 31-May-05 09:50:51

i know!, if you want to check out aschool, go to ofsteds website andread the ofsted report for the school you want to send your child too.

Evesmama Tue 31-May-05 09:52:23

morning and thanks
have been ringing and rining schools all morning..only to just now realise its half term

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now