Talk

Advanced search

Anyone involved in AmDram? Know any good plays?

(13 Posts)
TFINaptime Thu 27-Aug-09 17:24:08

I'm on the lookout for plays that people would recommend for an amateur dramatic group. We've got about 30 members but usually put on plays with a cast of 7 or less.

We've been around for 60 years, so we've done quite a few of the old faithfuls but we don't like to repeat plays.

Can anyone recommend a few good plays that we might like to have a stab at?

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 17:26:08

Have you done 'Noises, Off'?

TFINaptime Thu 27-Aug-09 17:47:49

Thanks, Janeite. No, I don't think so. I think I saw it years ago. I'll find a copy and have a read - I seem to remember it being really funny. Do you happen to know whether amateur rights are def available?

janeite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:35:21

No idea, sorry. It is v silly though and would be great fun to act in I think.

pushmepullyou Thu 27-Aug-09 21:47:08

Six characters in search of an author?

Trojan Women?

SorryDoIKnowYou Thu 27-Aug-09 21:49:11

I saw Noises Off in the West End a few years back and it was great fun to watch - thoroughly enjoyed it.

TitsalinaBumsquash Thu 27-Aug-09 21:52:21

Farndale plays are hilarious, we did the Murder at Checkmate Manor and it was so much fun. There are loads of them in the series, its about a womens guild who put on plays and they always go really worng.

I do Amdram 3 times a year, Panto rehersals start soon i can't wait!

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 27-Aug-09 21:58:01

A colleague of mine from work did See How They Run last year and it was absolutely hilarious.

TFINaptime Sat 29-Aug-09 12:00:53

Thanks for all suggestions - I'll have a read!

ChookKeeper Sat 29-Aug-09 12:18:05

Saw Something's afoot last year - it was hilarious.

HeliumBee Sat 29-Aug-09 22:28:00

Our Day Out by Willy Russell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OurDay_Out(play)

Works really well with either children or adults playing the young people - plenty of fun and interpretation to be had!

Fruitbeard Sun 30-Aug-09 18:36:30

Hobsons' Choice by Harold Brighouse is brilliant if you can afford to do period costumes.

The Dresser by Ronald Harwood has a good, age-varied cast and is hilarious and tear-jerking in turn.

What the Butler Saw by Joe Orton - staging is a bit of a bugger (esp. the end scene!) but it's hysterically funny.

Two by Jim Cartwright is both funny and heartbreaking (written for two people acting lots of parts, but we did it with each character played by an individual actor, worked really well!)

If you have loads of women in your group, Daisy Pulls it Off by Denise Deegan is a brilliant one - I've both directed it and been in it, it's a fab play.

One I really want to direct but haven't yet due to the issue of the leading man is Six Degrees of Separation, by John Guare - massive cast but lots of opportunities for doubling in the smaller parts.

TFINaptime Tue 01-Sep-09 12:34:21

Some other great suggestions. I've always wanted to be in Daisy Pulls It Off, so I'll wait and suggest that one when I can be in it. We've done What The Butler Saw and possibly Hobson's Choice (I LOVE period costumes!!).

I'll check out the rest! Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now