Talk

Advanced search

anyone had a natural or home birth after a c section?

(5 Posts)
scottishmumto1 Mon 30-May-05 13:36:19

i really wanted to give birth naturally to dd 9 months ago, but because i didnt progress well in first stages of labour, my cervix coming back down and dd in distress i had to have an emergency c section.
next time i ould love to have a natural birth or even a home birth, but i dont know if this is advisable, what with having a c section and living an hour and half away from hospital.
would love to hear your stories or opinions on this matter
thanks very much

Somanykiddies Mon 30-May-05 16:39:13

Had crash section with dd1 and was terrified of having another hence the gap between dd1 and 2. Second time round labour went normally and dd2 born in 4 hours with only gas and air! Couldn't have been more different thankfully.

motherinferior Mon 30-May-05 16:55:17

Plenty of people have vaginal births after C-section but it is difficult to get your community midwife team to support a home birth as both the Royal College of Midwives and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommend continuous monitoring in case the scar ruptures (this is very unlikely, as it happens, and can often be detected early in advance in any case), which means going to hospital. Independent midwives and some community teams are better on this, though.

I didn't have a C section first time but I did have a very difficult labour and only just managed to get the baby out vaginally with the help of ventouse. My second labour was seven hours, start to finish, incredibly straighforward. This is the case with lots of women - your body's gone through it once and has been, as one midwife put it to me, 'programmed' for labour. Please don't worry too much at this stage. And good luck if you do decide to press for a home birth.

cerys Mon 30-May-05 20:05:45

I had emergency c-section with dd1, but had dd2 and ds with just gas and air and pretty quick labours. Good luck!

unicorn Mon 30-May-05 20:21:36

I had emergency C with dd (now 6).. usual tale overdue/failed induction/failure to progress/timed out on the 'trial of labour'.. etc etc...

Anyway I desperately didn't want it all taken out of my hands for number 2 (ds).. and I ended up with an emergency...but a home birth!
(I had had lots of reflexology in the months prior to delivery- and I believe this definately helped me)

It was as far removed from the first birth as you could ever wish for.

My first C section wasn't really for same reasons as yours, so I wouldn't try to advise anything... but I wish you well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now