Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP we have a stinky sink

(17 Posts)
nutcracker Mon 30-May-05 08:33:48

Our kitchen sink stinks beyond belief.
It has since we moved in but actually seems to be getting worse. When you open the kitchen door in the morning it is foul. Also the cupboard under the sink stinks too.

Have tried sink freshners, jeyes fluid and a ton of other stuff but nothing will shift it.

It isn't blocked but i think there may be bits of stuff lying down there iun the drain. The previous tennants apparently used to shove nappies and sanitary towels down the drain outside .

We have even had a couple of maggots come up the sink

Question is too, should it be up to me or the h/a to sort do you think ???

They will no doubt say we have caused it and try and get us to pay for the work.

misdee Mon 30-May-05 08:34:54

chuck loads of bleach down. and try to clean the drain as well.

nutcracker Mon 30-May-05 08:37:52

Have put bottles of bleach down there and down the drain too. It's funny cos you can't smell the smell by the drain outside so it must be the pipes leading up to the sink but they definatly aren't blocked.

misdee Mon 30-May-05 08:39:50

can u get a drain snake thingy and make sure there is no scum in the pipes.

nutcracker Mon 30-May-05 08:41:52

A drain snake ????? Never heard of them.

Carla Mon 30-May-05 08:46:51

nutty that sounds vile - maggots coming up the drain? Could you give the HA a ring and sound them out?

misdee Mon 30-May-05 08:47:29

drain snake

attach to electric drill, will clear the blockages and clean the pipes.

nutcracker Mon 30-May-05 08:50:20

Yes i think i'll have to Carla cos it is making me heave.

That looks good misdee, will show it to dp when he gets home.

There could be paint down there i think which i spose could be clogging everything up.

mytwopenceworth Mon 30-May-05 09:53:32

baking soda can be used with white vinegar to keep drains clean and can even clear a slow drain. (If you have a full-fledged clog, you'll need mechanical means like a plunger or plumber's snake.) About every other month, put a few tablespoons of baking soda down sink drains and the tub drain, pour in about a half cup of hot water, and then follows it with a cup of white vinegar. It fizzes and foams and makes a little commotion in the drain, but it is absolutely harmless to plumbing and is safe to use with septic systems. Let it stand for an hour or two and then flush the drain with hot water.
will get rid of stink too!!

ggglimpopo Mon 30-May-05 10:02:46

Message withdrawn

Anteater Mon 30-May-05 10:50:12

open the cupboard under the sink and unscrew the trap, empty and replace..

highlight Mon 06-Jun-05 15:33:50

COuld be that you have dead rat or mouse in the pipework if youy have maggots coming up into the sink

We had a dead rat under the floor boards and the smell was vile plus we had a fly infestation a week or so afterwards

Bagpuss30 Mon 06-Jun-05 15:37:45

Failing all these, soda crystals, which are about 50p a bag from Tescos, are very good. Just follow the instructions on the bag. My dh does all our plug holes with them every so often and it really does the trick, especially in the Kitchen. HTH

nutcracker Mon 06-Jun-05 15:40:29

Thanks for all the ideas.

I think we have sussed now that the prob is down the drain and not in the pipes attatched to the sink.
There is what looks like thick grease or something at the bottom when you look down the drain outside.
Next door neighbours said it got blocked once before and when the people cam eto do it, they pulled out several disposable nappies .

We are going to get some stuff (can't remember what it's called ) and if that doesn't work I will contact the h/a.

donnie Mon 06-Jun-05 15:50:01

you may need to ring dyna-rod and get them properly cleaned.not sure what it would cost but they normally do a good job.

nutcracker Mon 06-Jun-05 15:51:14

Hmmm well it has been a prob since we moved in so there is no way I am paying for it.

Hopefully we can get it cleared.

emeraldefmach Mon 06-Jun-05 19:50:42

Try caustic soda. It's very effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now