Talk

Advanced search

divorce does it run int h family?

(30 Posts)
cod Sun 29-May-05 20:28:25

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Sun 29-May-05 20:29:53

Lots of divorce in dh's family.
Only one in ours about 50 million years ago.

WideWebWitch Sun 29-May-05 20:30:04

My mum and dad divorced, my dad married AND divorced 3 times (inc my mother)
I've been divorced once and sincerely expect that to be it.

cod Sun 29-May-05 20:30:38

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Sun 29-May-05 20:30:49

Oh and no divorces in ex dh's family or in dp's. Oh, it's me then, innit?

expatinscotland Sun 29-May-05 20:32:56

Mine was the only divorce in the family. My parents are still married after 41 years. All their siblings married only once, my sister is still happily married to her university sweetheart after 14 years.

Dior Sun 29-May-05 20:34:03

Message withdrawn

Janh Sun 29-May-05 20:34:26

My family (both sides) all together to the grave apparently. DH's mum's deeply religious NI Protestants so no. DH's dad's family a mystery - he was raised by his grandma and we know nothing about any of them.

Families are weird

jessicasmummy Sun 29-May-05 20:36:24

no divorce either side here yet!!! waiting to be the first... lol!!

kama Sun 29-May-05 20:47:43

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Sun 29-May-05 20:52:09

my sister is divorced but she's the only one on both sides I can think of - and she married a strange one so I'm not surprised!

mum dad celebrate 60 years next year

hermykne Sun 29-May-05 21:04:17

i am now with my husband longer than my parents were together! they still arent divorced after 20yrs separated but are getting.

Bozza Sun 29-May-05 21:06:17

My Dad has a one cousin who is divorced (well remarried) and DH's Mum has one cousin who is divorced (also remarried). But neither of us have any parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins, aunts or uncles who have divorced. So very little divorce really. DH and I have now been married 7 years - so its that famous 7 year itch or might be if we weren't both totally knackered every night!

SenoraPostrophe Sun 29-May-05 21:13:25

My mum is one of 9 and 6 have divorced at least once . there are several good marriages in the family though and no danger of them staying together for religious reasons.

But I don't think it runs in families. Staying together at all costs might run in families (due to religion, priorities etc) but that's all.

suedonim Sun 29-May-05 21:13:35

No one in the current generations are divorced on either side. But dh's long-dead aunts were both divorced back in the Days of Yore. My bro broke up with his bidie-in last year and my mum said 'Thank goodness they never married - at least we won't have a divorce in the family!'

Gwenick Sun 29-May-05 21:16:13

No divorces on my side of the family (that I know of) but my mum's sister was stood up at the aisle - turns out he was infact alrady married!!!

DH's dad has been married (and divorced) 3 times, 2 children from each marriage, and everyone said that DH was *just like his dad* and would never make it last, espeically as hardly new each other when we got engaged.............it'll our 6th wedding anniversary in December

sobernow Sun 29-May-05 21:23:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joash Sun 29-May-05 21:30:42

My mother has had 7 husbands and about 24 'live-in' lovers (for want of a better word).
My older sis has three kids to three different blokes - runs away from commitment.
My youngest brother has four kids to four different women.
My younger sister is totally freaked by commitment - had three weddings fully planned and almost totally paid for, then chickened out at the last moment.

My other brother has been married for 15 years, is very happy and has 2 kids.
I've been married for 21 years with three kids (although one is to a previous relationship) and am very happy (all things considered at the moment).

DH's parents have been married for 60 years this year - I think they freaked slightly when he brought me home (with a daughter in tow) - but we get on great now.

Gobbledigook Sun 29-May-05 21:32:16

Wow Joash! That's a story and a half!

joash Sun 29-May-05 21:33:13

Janh Sun 29-May-05 21:33:49

You are Liz Taylor's daughter?

nutcracker Sun 29-May-05 21:35:07

Erm ....

My side ... My parents divorced (thankgod), dads sister divorced, dads other sister divorced.

Dp' side ....Dp divorced, his sister divorced twice.

joash Sun 29-May-05 21:35:09

NOPE - actually I'm just trying to work out if it is 7 or 6 (There was one that I never actually met, but Dh and I can't remember if she actually married him or not. I think she did - DH is not so sure.

cod Mon 30-May-05 09:30:43

Message withdrawn

Pruni Mon 30-May-05 09:59:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now