Talk

Advanced search

Omg!!! HOW much are prams these days????

(15 Posts)
ash6605 Mon 24-Aug-09 13:22:07

I am pregnant with dc3, i have ds aged 10 and dd age 6. I am in complete and utter shock at the difference in price of prams/travel systems to 6 years ago.I have no idea how on earth I am going to afford everything this time around.
Last time I had a Mamas and Papas pramette with the car seat and I remember paying no more than £400 for the whole travel system,car seat,base,raincover etc.this time I would be lucky to get it for less than £600 as they are now selling the bases seperately.I am thinking ebay might be the answer!

GypsyMoth Mon 24-Aug-09 13:24:05

why does it have to be the same one?

mamas and papas are no better than any other make. try a less expensive range.

paisleyleaf Mon 24-Aug-09 13:25:10

I know. At least as much as I'd pay for a car.
I did quite well out of women who have a bit of a pram fetish, and seem to keep buying the latest, then selling their previous hardly used ones on 2nd hand.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 24-Aug-09 13:25:21

I got my (tandem) buggy for £15 off eBay. If you're really strapped, try Freecycle, often get good stuff on there.

Also, don't buy into the whole travel system malarky, it drives the price up. We were lucky, and got given our car seats, but you can get a really good stage 0 car seat (new) for £100 ish, and if you know the person you're buying from it's ok to buy 2nd hand. Then you can save money on the pram. Or failing that, scratch the pram, buy a good sling and spend the extra on a really good car seat!

smackapacka Mon 24-Aug-09 13:27:44

2nd hand is the way forward. We got our travel system from an NCT sale for £100 - great condition, just not top of the range. It's a graco 'work-horse' type pushchair and we've been really pleased with it. Good luck!

ash6605 Mon 24-Aug-09 13:28:04

ILoveTIFFANY-No it doesn't have to be the same one,i am definately going to have to look elsewhere.I just found the m&p one to be reliable,suited our needs etc plus i was using it as a comparison.I just wish I'd kept it now!

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 24-Aug-09 13:28:12

This car seat is suitable from birth to 4 years, and "only" for £189.99!

3cutedarlings Mon 24-Aug-09 13:28:26

Why not buy a second hand pramette type pram off ebay (or here) and then buy a really good buggy later on?

The M&P first stage car seat is terrible, just google the reviews for it shock.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 24-Aug-09 13:32:37

This looks good, and you can get a travel system for it too.

It's not good for babies to be in car seats too long though, much better for them to be flat in a pram, or in a sling.

ash6605 Mon 24-Aug-09 13:33:13

It doesn't have to be a travel system,but I certainly found it easier to keep baby asleep in car seat if we were say popping into a shop for a few bits or something rather than take her out of car seat,put into pram etc but am definately re-thinking this one!

leenasmom Wed 26-Aug-09 16:14:17

Same fear here though dc are 6 and 7. Maybe as I didnt pay for my pram last-time round(bank of mommy) also as they were so close in age I couldn't manage the double pram things(I'm only small)so bought a car instead!! (have 'borrowed the car seats to all the younger neices and nephews since and then freecycled them).. I would definatly consider a 2nd hand one thanks to the 'posh' moms that need that years colour...freecycler is another great one.

nappyaddict Mon 31-Aug-09 22:58:15

You can get the Luna pushchair, carry cot, car seat and base for £382.

nappyaddict Mon 31-Aug-09 23:38:10

Traxx Ecuador travel system £229.99

Bebecar Ip Op You can get a car seat to match but don't know about a base for it.

Bebecar Vector

Jane Solo travel system £299

Petite Star Zia 4 travel system

petite star dot travel system

ErikaMaye Mon 31-Aug-09 23:40:05

Raid the Friday Ad! grin I got my Urban Detour for £30, and the matching car seat for the same price the following week from another family. Both in fantastic condition. Its all just too expensive to buy new!!

choosyfloosy Mon 31-Aug-09 23:44:52

Behold, the classifieds in your local paper. Loads of baby stuff in there, people can barely give it away, and no postage costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now