Talk

Advanced search

Coddy help! Will I lose my licence?

(83 Posts)
CountessDracula Sat 28-May-05 15:47:13

I have 4 pts on my licence already, got convicted of speeding doing 48 in a 30 zone (I think) about 2.8 years ago.

Going to the Cup Final last weekend, I got nabbed doing 70 in a 30 but am furious, it was coming out of the tolls on the M4, I didn't even see a 30mph zone, but how on earth are you meant to get back up to speed to get back on the M~Way if you have to do 30 for a while after the toll? They obviously had a mobile camera and decided to nab lots of unsuspecting English people for some revenue on Cup Final day.

So Cod, do you think I will lose my licence as s it was more than twice the speed limit? It's not like I was in a a built up area or anything.

CountessDracula Sat 28-May-05 15:50:09

Maybe I could delay for a bit until my other points are expired.

foxinsocks Sat 28-May-05 16:07:22

I think they do it from the date of the offence unfortunately

get cod to confirm this though

Janh Sat 28-May-05 16:14:50

70 isn't the minimum speed on a motorway, you know, CD...

I don't think "getting back up to speed" would be considered a valid defence (unless everybody in the inside lane is also doing 70?).

JoolsToo Sat 28-May-05 16:16:07

its a fair cop guv!

starlover Sat 28-May-05 16:17:16

There are 30mph signs before the tolls... i think it's fair to assume you have to stick to that until you see the national speed limit signs telling you that you can go back up... unfortunately!

not sure about losing licence though...

foxinsocks Sat 28-May-05 16:18:20

Do you mean the little bit of road as you come out of the tolls before you go back to 'proper' motorway? Was the camera highlighted? There was actually a campaign against cameras on the M4 and a warning before the cup final because the police were out to fill their coppers and catch those going over 70 (though I don't remember any mention of the toll booth camera).

Unfortunately I seem to remember that more than 30 over the limit is very likely to be a ban rather than points.

SleepyJess Sat 28-May-05 16:19:21

Is cod a traffic cop then??! No wonder she is so scary! (In the nicest possible way!)

Janh Sat 28-May-05 16:25:38

No, she's a JP, SJ (so she knows about these things.)

I was also just thinking, "sneaky Welsh bastards out to catch innocent English football fans" wouldn't be a very endearing defence either

irishbird Sat 28-May-05 16:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Libb Sat 28-May-05 16:48:36

CD, the points are counted from the date of offence so you wouldn't be able to delay the sentence unfortunately.

Not sure of what the situation is for the area you were caught in but here in this county you would get an immediate court summons rather than the offer of a fixed penalty.

Irishbird, I don't think a ban is automatic because of the speed limit, it is dependant on the number of points you already have and the reasons for the offence.

If the area where the offence occured is like here then you will be sent the summons and some mitigation forms that give you the opportunity to explain your situation before the court hearing. If you only the 4 points then I wouldn't assume a ban to be honest, however it is down to the Magistrates' decision on the day.

Please don't quote me on all this because it is all down to personal circumstance.

Libb Sat 28-May-05 16:50:53

I can ask at work on Tuesday if you like - just to be sure.

Unless Cod comes along of course, she being worldly wise.

irishbird Sat 28-May-05 16:54:36

irishbird Sat 28-May-05 16:55:06

Libb Sat 28-May-05 17:01:14

Irishbird, that is a great website - have e-mailed it to my work address so will have a proper look when my work head is on - it is strangely absent today

irishbird Sat 28-May-05 17:01:49

Libb Sat 28-May-05 17:02:49

My housemate also seems to think it is an automatic ban so shows what I know - I shall stand in the corner now

Janh Sat 28-May-05 17:09:45

<<If you are doing more than 30mph over limit you are very likely to be disqualified depending on speed, road traffic conditions, weather etc.>>

From irishbird's first link.

piffle Sat 28-May-05 18:07:02

DH got done on his bike doing 105 mph on a sual carriageway in good conditions
He went to magistrate and pled his case and got 6 points and £600 fine but worst was his insurance prems doubled for his bike, I think the only way he kept his license was that he was a) courteous b) admitted fair cop guv and c) he had no previous offences and would def have lost his job if his license had been taken.
He was told if he had had previous speeding violations he would have been banned
He says it is by no peans certain that you will lose you license but it is certainly possible.
Good luck xxx

CountessDracula Sat 28-May-05 19:24:39

Good news re date of offence, I think that means that I am in the clear on my previous points as they were in the previous September ie 2001. So maybe I will get away with it on the basis that I have a clean licence.

Is it 3 years after date of offence that points expire?

CountessDracula Sat 28-May-05 19:25:31

Where's that blimmin cod when you need her?

DH thinks it was a summons not fixed penno.

dropinthe Sat 28-May-05 19:43:15

Whats a JP in my ignorance?

WigWamBam Sat 28-May-05 19:45:54

Justice of the Peace

irishbird Sat 28-May-05 19:48:04

dropinthe Sat 28-May-05 19:48:57

A judge? Cod?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now