Talk

Advanced search

how many credit cards do you and dp/dh have?

(31 Posts)
scottishmumto1 Sat 28-May-05 12:47:33

i have 3 but they are all at zero. dh has one at zero too. we managed to get them all paid off couple of months ago. they are now only for extreme emergencies or small things i can pay off in full straight away

jessicasmummy Sat 28-May-05 12:51:12

None - well that we can use anyway.

We had one each, but since debts got out of control, and gone through debt management, we dont have to worry about any of it, and dh's has now been scrapped! The bank he was with accepted 6 monthly payments that didnt even touch the balance, and now they have wiped it completely!

Louise1980 Sat 28-May-05 12:54:08

I dont have any as I cant get any. CapitalOne ofered me one but I needed to pay a £139 deposit! didnt have that kind of money.

KBear Sat 28-May-05 13:27:27

None - we both had them years ago but it's too easy to go spending and then regret it!!

Sometimes it would be convenient to have one but there have been times when I know I would said "sod it, stick it on the card" and wished I hadn't.

MarsLady Sat 28-May-05 13:29:16

we are currently down to 3 (all DH's). I've persuaded him to get rid of 2 and keep one for emergencies once he's paid them off.

Too much temptation for me. I used to be really good with them then I had the kids and didn't have the income to pay for them and so no longer have them.

SaintGeorge Sat 28-May-05 13:33:29

3, only one with a balance and that is on 0%.

Although I don't use them (and really should just cancel the things) what I find scary is the amount of credit I have available if I wanted to go and splurge. On a bad day it is very tempting to spend up to my total £23K and then skip the country.

daisy1999 Sat 28-May-05 13:37:07

we have 2 each but pay them off every month.

tribpot Sat 28-May-05 13:46:45

We have three - two are mine (1% cashback card, Amnesty charity Visa) and dh just has a bog standard Mastercard with his bank. Oh, he does have an MBNA card too but I've nearly got that one closed down now as I loathe MBNA. They bombard him with loan offers c. three times a month and regularly phone to hassle him to take credit he doesn't want or need, just too much of a hard sell. All of the cards get paid off monthly, a fact that seems to complete bewilder the card companies when they phone up to offer to extend the credit limits (although why would we need them to?), do balance transfers or try to get us to take out payment protection (except why would we need to do that when we pay the cards off every month?).

Dh used to have payment protection on his MBNA card, even though the only thing that went out each month was a payment to his internet provider. Completely ridiculous. When he cancelled it, they really tried to pressure him "what if you got sick and couldn't work?" they said. "I already am sick and can't work" was his reply. (Quite true, and I don't think their script really catered for that answer).

Long ago I used to carry a balance on my cards, I even had a store card, something ridiculous like 30% APR. Never again!

ambrosia Sat 28-May-05 13:47:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarsLady Sat 28-May-05 13:55:51

SG next time you have a bad day I recommend the Seychelles and you should take me!

hotmama1 Sat 28-May-05 14:02:46

Have one each. DP pays his balance off every month. I have a 0% balance transfer one and will pay off when I go back to work after maternity leave - I have been opening new ones whilst I have been on mat leave and transferring - will have saved me shedloads

charleepeters Sat 28-May-05 14:03:48

none - i wont let myself be drawn in to the credit card game though it is tempting sometimes.

lockets Sat 28-May-05 14:08:36

Message withdrawn

snafu Sat 28-May-05 14:09:02

Just the one. Never use it but it's nice to know it's there for emergencies. I don't really like credit cards and would never have a store card (not that I'd get one anyway with my abysmal credit rating...)

I keep meaning to try that trick of putting it in a bowl of water and then keeping it in the freezer - definitely out of harm's way then!

kama Sat 28-May-05 14:11:45

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Sat 28-May-05 15:03:01

One card that we buy everything on and pay off every month.

One more that is 0% interest that we have a small amount on that we are paying off gradually (no point clearing it as not paying interest).

DH has one that he does all his ebay stuff on but he clears that every month too.

expatinscotland Sat 28-May-05 16:11:37

One with 0% that we're paying off £100/month (it has £600 on it). Another one that we never use - it's locked up in a metal box.

Kaz33 Sat 28-May-05 16:21:03

OOOps about 8, all with nothing on them except a cashback card which DP uses for expenses - we get 2% cashback (so far we have about £600 coming to us next month !!!) and one with a balance which is on a 0% for 18 months basis.

All in all about £75K potential credit. Use to stooz but cleared it all off before applying for mortgage recently.

Fran1 Sat 28-May-05 16:26:59

So how did you do that jessicasmummy?

weesaidie Sat 28-May-05 16:29:37

None. I wouldn't trust myself and hate being in debt!

WestCountryLass Sat 28-May-05 20:51:39

I have never had a credit card. I did have a store card when i was student and learnt the error of my ways, DH on the other hand...

DH had four. We recently moved and kept some of the money we made on our last house to pay off his debts. I do resent it as we could own more of this hosue then we do and not have such huge mortgage payments every month.

We have actually paid them off today and I made him cut them up in front of me. He is not speaking to me at the moment

Donbean Sat 28-May-05 21:42:09

none, if i havent got the money in my pocket for what i want/need then i do without until i have saved for whatever it is.
Always have worked this way.
DH is the same.

bossykate Sat 28-May-05 21:47:36

me 1 - pay off balance every month
dh 0

thank you for a very specific thread title, can answer w/o reading the whole thread!

acnebride Sat 28-May-05 21:58:03

dh has 2, both of which he pays off every month,
I have none as I am Spends A Lot Woman. Every time I lose my debit card I wish I had a credit card but that's the only time I miss it.

lavenderrr Sat 28-May-05 22:00:00

too many! soon to be cleared but a nightmare

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now