Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else think GHD's ruin your hair?

(10 Posts)
Stuffedcat Wed 19-Aug-09 16:23:01

Just curious.

I have been using mine for a couple of years and over the last several months the condition has really deteriorated breaking ends mainly.
Up until I bought them I had used a number of other straighteners over the last 10 years and never had any problem.

Pawsandclaws Wed 19-Aug-09 16:25:37

Maybe they're just too strong for your hair?

I use £20 Babyliss ceramic straighteners and they're fab BTW.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 16:34:47

I think the straighters that many years ago weren't as hot though.
I know I went through loads of earlier type straighteners and they were never as good at the end result as they are now and was much harder work to get hair straight now I have hot hot ones they glide over my hair but are probably not the best for the condition of it.

ThePregnantPhantomPlopper Wed 19-Aug-09 19:09:44

I've taken a break from mine as the condition of my hair was getting awful, really dry, dull and prone to split ends.

Stuffedcat Thu 20-Aug-09 08:18:16

I think I might dig out my old ones.
PPP- have you noticed any improvement yet?

mustsleep Thu 20-Aug-09 08:26:51

I've been using them for about 6 years now and have never notived anything wrong with the condition of my hair, do you use protective spray?

I don't straighten my hair everyday mind obly if I wear it down

the old straighteners used to do absolutely nothing to my hair though

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 20-Aug-09 08:30:12

Any straightener will damage hair if used alot and without any kind of "barrier" something like heat defence spray or just plain old hairspray.

Stuffedcat Thu 20-Aug-09 10:26:37

Mmm, perhaps that's where I've been going wrong, I was using a protective spray but think I was not really doing it properly, as I wash hair, spray with protective spray, leave to dry (don't blow dry if I can help it) and straighten next day.
I assume the spray is to be used directly before?
As I mentioned I have been using them for over 10 years and never used a spray but the GHD's are so hot guess they need the spray each time.

Mishee Thu 20-Aug-09 19:49:34

I have never had split ends in all my 40 years(!) but suffer terribly with thme now that I use my GHDs more often. As soon as I wash it after they've been cut out they reappear. Hmmm

Stuffedcat Thu 20-Aug-09 20:47:43

Mishee - Me too, I have been colouring mine since I was 15 and used to use crimpers etc, never any problem. I'm going to experiment using my old ones and hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now