Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any DIY'ers...need advice

(9 Posts)
darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 22:27:57

How can I get rid of horrid blacking seal around the edge of the bath? Have tried bleach ad other abrasives but it doesn't shift (its not me BTW was like this when we moved in). I want to remove it and give it a good clean then reseal it in nice white sealant - any advice?

Additionally, I would like to know if anyone has painted over bathroom tles with tile paint. How did it turn out? We have awful tiles from floor to ceiling so can't afford to take them all off and retile. Dh suggested painting them.

misdee Fri 27-May-05 22:29:12

is it silicone seal, or that tape stuff?

foxinsocks Fri 27-May-05 22:32:11

darling

we painted the tiles with tile paint. We had to use some undercoat (special tile undercoat) and then the proper tile paint on top.

To be honest, I don't think it looks great. All the paint on the tiles that get very wet (around the bath) has started to peel (bear in mind this is our only bathroom so in use a lot - maybe in a spare bathroom or something, it would be OK). The tiles that don't get wet (we have floor to ceiling tiles) look OK but you can tell they have been painted IYSWIM. To be honest, if I had to do it again, I would probably save up and get it retiled.

darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 22:32:27

its not the tape stuff/plastic. I would say it is white silicone type stuff.

fatmomma Fri 27-May-05 23:01:59

Hi darlingbud,

This is what you need silicone eater . You just squeeze it on the manky black stuff and it dissolves away.

We used tile paint in our old house as we knew we weren't staying and didn't want to fork out for new tiles. It wasn't great, you could see the brushmarks and it scratched off really easily. Are they all patterned - if not you could just put tile transfers over the patterened ones.

We have to do this job in our family bathroom and and we are not looking forward to it. We took off a few exploratory tiles and the plaster came off with them!!

fatmomma Fri 27-May-05 23:02:32

Hooray - I got a link to work!!

jodee Fri 27-May-05 23:07:12

Agree with foxinsox, as a quick fix, painting over tiles is a good idea, but not longterm. I did the tiles in the kitchen in our old house, they didn't scratch off, probably lasted 4 years, but the paint on the tiles on the windowsill peeled away because the washing up liquid bottle was on it, soap suds/washing up sponge, etc. Bathroom tiles might go the same way.

darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 23:35:19

thanks to all for advice re tiles - have discussed with dh and we will not paint just regrout to brightwn them up. reaseal and change the dark accessories to light/modern ones - oh and get new flooring.

Janh Fri 27-May-05 23:38:54

Just had a look at fatmomma's link for silicone eater and just down the page is another recommendation - a chainsaw! So if the silicone eater doesn't work...

You can tile over old tiles as long as they're well stuck, db - they stick out more but are fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now