Talk

Advanced search

How do you sew on Cash's name tags?

(19 Posts)
puffling Mon 17-Aug-09 22:18:04

Apologies for banality of topic. Do I sew them all the way round or just the 2 shorter ends? What type of stitch works best?

bluejeans Mon 17-Aug-09 22:20:28

I always just sew each end but my mum used to neatly sew all the way round. I'm a rubbish sewer mind you! This year (DD is P5 now) I've just bought a pen to label her stuff. You've just reminded me I should be doing that now instead of MNing

choosyfloosy Mon 17-Aug-09 22:21:15

i've always done them all the way round, but using a huge rubbish stitch

i.e. worst of both worlds

i would only do the two ends version if i wanted to make a hanging loop for something.

personally i am about to buy a laundry pen as i have decided life is too short for name tapes.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Mon 17-Aug-09 22:21:33

I sew each end, a few stitches then a knot keeps them in place.

AvengingGerbil Mon 17-Aug-09 22:25:24

All the way round: if you only do the ends, the garment will be swung around/hung up/carried by the tag and ends up either coming off or pulling through the fabric (esp jumpers) and making holes.

Aargh. Six pairs of socks to do. The boredom.

treedelivery Mon 17-Aug-09 22:26:57

By giving them to nanna.

wink

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 22:27:50

Sew neatly all the way around in thread to match the garment.

Or get these

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Aug-09 22:28:05

All the way round with hemstitch.

puffling Mon 17-Aug-09 23:20:22

Thanks all. Will get hemstitching.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Aug-09 23:24:33

Stitch all round unless you want a loop, but space quite widely. Because in a year or two you will want to liberate it for the next size of clothes (well, if you're like me and have lost the rest of the unused originals) and its a right pain if they are closely stitched.

Must admit I mostly use pen now, but there are a few things like PE socks where only a tape will do.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 17-Aug-09 23:24:37

All the way round with tiny stitches and matching thread.

<<oh dear me>>

Cadelaide Mon 17-Aug-09 23:32:08

have always just sewn the ends to give a loop for hanging, but despite really strong stitching they always undo so I'm going to sew all 'round this time.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Aug-09 23:32:34

Thats how DDs (wonderful) nanny did all her first set of uniforms and that's how I know its a right pain to get them off again without cutting either tape or clothes (you don't want to send stuff to the secondhand shop with either holes or your DCs name). Learn from my experience, its not lazy its good for subsequent recycling to space the stitches!grin

Quattrocento Mon 17-Aug-09 23:33:57

All the way around. Neatly. With matching thread.

vinblanc Mon 17-Aug-09 23:35:08

I sew all the way round, by sewing machine if possible.

For socks, I used to fold over and stitch across the short end, but I new I do iron on on the sole of the foot.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Aug-09 23:43:44

Fold and stitch the short end is good on socks because it doesn't stop them stretching. I'd forgotten thats what I do too. (It is nice when the rate of growth slows and you're not having to do everything every year!)

stealthsquiggle Tue 18-Aug-09 11:14:12

iron-on (ink transfer) is ideal for socks and pants - which won't live to be sold on - but a PITA for anything you want to send to a secondhand shop (and I don't have the problem of removing nametapes, except other people's, since if we want to get our share of the sale price they have to go into secondhand shop with name tapes attached!)

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 11:20:45

I sew all the way round, but very lightly with wide stitches (iyswim) so they are easy to cut out when clothes are handed down

branhasnocommentfortheDM Tue 18-Aug-09 11:27:09

I use a laundry stamp for DS as his uniform is completely ruined by the end of the year anyway so can't be sold on. If I do need to sew on a name tape then I do one short end properly then do a wide stitch along one long end (to save tying off and doing a new knot) and do the other short end properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now