Talk

Advanced search

Brownies and Guides - did you? Will your daughters?

(37 Posts)
mummyontherun Sun 16-Aug-09 22:13:39

Just watched 100 years of guiding - full of nostalgia for my years in uniform!!!

What impact do you think being a guide had on you? And will you recommend it to your daughters?

I had a brilliant time - best of all was the camping! I remember how my friends and I really challenged ourselves and had great fun - with some naughty bits inbetween!!! Looking back, the leaders took some risks and really let us be very independent.

We went on one camp where we convinced ourselves we could see ghosts in a mansion at night, we got hopelessly lost thousands of times and were really horrid to some of the leaders (sorry Aunty Meg....but if only you hadn't sat on a chair with your legs apart when we were in our fairy ring).

I'd love my little girl to do it! Have to wait another 5 years though.

bluejeans Sun 16-Aug-09 22:17:33

DD went to Rainbows when she was 5 and is now enjoying Brownies - she'll go to Guides next year! You need to put their name on a waiting list pretty early these days - I did when DD was 3 I think

mummyontherun Sun 16-Aug-09 22:24:10

Good grief, and there's me thinking they'd all join the scouts - thanks for the tip - as she's 3 before long!

Fimbo Sun 16-Aug-09 22:25:12

I was a member of Brownies and Guides, had great camp holidays. Hated the uniform though, silly little thin dress and woolly hat with a pompom on top!

My dd has been in Rainbows, Brownies and was enroled in Guides just before the start of the holidays.

All 3 are full and have huge waiting lists.

Ds will hopefully join Beavers when he is 6 in December.

vinblanc Sun 16-Aug-09 22:29:58

I went right through the Guiding movement and am now a Brownie Guider. My daughters re aslo in Brownies and Guides.

I feel strongly about Guiding - that is is female only and has a promise.

I am rather wistful about when I was Guide but also recognise that the modern stuff they deal with is also important.

Fairynufff Tue 18-Aug-09 10:03:57

My very girly daughter joined both Beavers and Rainbows - she found Beavers far more exciting and Rainbows is a bit sexist IMO the "hostess" badge and the 'dinner-lady-look' tabard for a uniform...

NorksNappiesAndNowtElse Tue 18-Aug-09 10:12:38

Mine is hopefully starting Rainbows in Sept.

JackieNo Tue 18-Aug-09 10:16:40

I did - I was a brownie, a guide and a ranger. DD is currently a brownie, and is really enjoying it.

4andnotout Tue 18-Aug-09 10:18:40

I was a brownie and then a guide, dd1 has been a rainbow and is now a brownie. DD2 is on the waiting list for march when she will be 5, my mum is a guiding leader too.

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 10:20:53

I was a brownie and a guide, and if dc2 is a girl I'd be happy for her to be both. Good clean fun, plus the uniform is much more practical now, no more shivering in silly brown dress! I'd quite like ds to join the cubs too..

TsarChasm Tue 18-Aug-09 10:24:55

My dd's were Rainbows. Dd1 went into Brownies for quite a while but found it very tame ie potting plants, visiting old people and singing a few songs.

I hasten to add it really does depend on who is in charge and how it is run, so this probably varies a lot from pack to pack.

Dd1 left Brownies, joined Cubs and has loved it. Far more exciting things going on there involving night walks and bonfires, camping and the like. She's now about to start Scouts.

Dd2 did the same and went into Beavers and now Cubs.

LIZS Tue 18-Aug-09 10:30:25

dd(7) is a Brownie and just came back from a weekend "camp" having had a great time. Our pack is very small and always welcomes new members. I was sporadically a brownie then a guide. Remember having to clean out the latrines at camp - bleugh - and make up the bedding roll each day as a big groundsheet parcel.

weegiemum Tue 18-Aug-09 10:33:46

I was a Brownie, Guide, Ranger, Young Leader. Dd1 is a Brownie, ds is a Beaver, dd2 is starting rainbows soon.

I loved the whole 'Guiding' experience and am now a Beaver leader (the local brownies didn't need anyone, the Beavers were going to fold if they didn't get someone!).

At least Brownies don't have to wear a bobble hat any more - that was simply embarrasing, even 30 years ago!

lljkk Tue 18-Aug-09 10:35:48

DD has been in Brownies a few months. She has 3 brothers and loves the whole Girls With Attitude Power atmosphere.

I didn't do anything like that as a child, too Goody-Two-Shoes for me.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Tue 18-Aug-09 10:51:11

sorry for hyjack but could someone explain to me the various groups? I am all confused here. I am not sure which is first and from which year they go etc. All I know is cubs, scouts and guides. Or the website.

Would love dds to do it as I loved it. aware of waiting list but I have no idea which one she should be going to.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 18-Aug-09 10:57:04

Message withdrawn

DamonBradleylovesPippi Tue 18-Aug-09 11:03:30

Thanks a lot Pixie. I am not sure why but I assumed they were all mixed although with different names for each gender.

hmmm, much rather they mix really... must investigate.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 18-Aug-09 11:16:13

Fairynuff, you are out of date on your Rainbow uniform, the tabards are long gone. This is the new uniform.
Also, hostess badge is Brownies - Rainbows don't do individual badges though they can work together as a group for badges.
I am a Brown Owl and also asssitant guider in a Rainbow unit and our Brownies have done the Hostess badge which they loved, but also Stargazer (involving a night expedition to identify constellations), Road Safety, Cyclist and lots of others that involve outdoor activity. They have also been on Brownie holidays where they had campfires and built dens in the woods, so it is not as 'girlie' as some people think.
As guiders we are really careful about making sure the girls get a good balance of activities, depending on the season and the weather.

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 11:19:27

I did, right the way through

but unless I can find a very outdoorsy pack I think dd will be better suited to Scouts - she is not at her best in all-girl situations

harleyd Tue 18-Aug-09 11:51:13

i went to brownies...and got kicked out of guides

my kids dont have any interest in going

EyeballsintheSky Tue 18-Aug-09 11:54:37

Was never a brownie and I got slung out of the guides. Would love dd to do it when she's old enough. I've already decided that her after school activities will be brownies and Irish dancing and bugger what she wants to do but I've got about 3.5 years before I have to think about it.

DamonBradleylovesPippi Tue 18-Aug-09 13:52:31

I might be daft but I am confused (and the Scout website is down): are the Souts mixed and the Rainbows/Guides/etc not? Is this the difference? I was a Scout in my own country and I loved it but like I said although I am sure it would not be a girlie thing I prefer for dds to be in a mixed environment.

YorkshireRose Tue 18-Aug-09 14:20:48

At last I've found someone else who was kicked out of guides! grin

I really enjoyed brownies as we did loads of outdoors stuff, but then we moved house and the guide pack I joined did nothing but girly stuff such as making paper flowers - not even a game of rounders! So I behaved badly on pupose to get slung out as it was so boring.

We were the last group of brownies to have the rather natty brown beret - the kids who were about 2 or 3 years younger were the first to have the silly bobble hat and they were really jealous of us! grin

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 14:49:34

yes Scouts are mixed in the UK now

Rainbows / Brownies / Guides are all girls still

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 18-Aug-09 15:30:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now