Talk

Advanced search

Anyone dive (or know a diver)? Advice needed

(13 Posts)
PerfectPrefect Fri 14-Aug-09 17:34:39

I am looking to buy a gift for a "diver".

Is there some sort of generic gift voucher that I can buy that she can spend where she wants?

Are there any other gifts i can buy? budget is about £30.

2to3 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:02:35

Have a look at www.simplyscuba.com - they've got loads of stuff and probably do gift vouchers. It's difficult to suggest a gift without knowing what kit she has already, so a voucher might be your best bet? That way she can put it towards something she really wants. Generous gift, by the way - she'll be pleased, I'm sure.

deepdarkwood Fri 14-Aug-09 20:07:51

Whereabouts are you? A local dive shop will probably do vouchers...not sure if there's a universal one like book tokens.

And/or a beautiful diving book - I love www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Light-Time-David-Doubilet/dp/0714846058/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1250276682&sr =8-24 this - and www.amazon.co.uk/Fifty-Places-Dive-Before-You/dp/158479710X/ref=pd_sim_b_2 looks quite fun

GetToYourBED Fri 14-Aug-09 20:17:46

Thanks for the suggestions. Thing is I am not local to her - so a shop which is local to me s not really appropriate.

There are a couple of shops that are local to her whcih I thought I could get them to post me vouchers - but she might have a favourite shop IYSWIM. I would be looking for a dive shop in the Glasgow area.

JackieNo Fri 14-Aug-09 20:18:00

I bought that Water, Light, Time book for DH for our wedding anniversary - it's beautiful. However, it does seem to be out of print, so a bit difficult to get hold of - I ordered it through Waterstones' website, and they came back and said it wasn't available, but they'd try to get hold of it, and they did, eventually - took a few weeks though.

GetToYourBED Fri 14-Aug-09 20:25:57

Books are a possibility....I could pop into my local bookshop. Sadly time is against me...I like the look of the 50 places to dive before you die one though. Relevant, and a nice gift. I could spend the rest on Amazon vouchers anyway. I don't have to use the whole budget. I am just trying to be thoughtful.

It is for a leaving gift for someone at work.

GetToYourBED Fri 14-Aug-09 20:30:18

I wondered if I could get some PADI or BSAC vouchers. They don't seem to exist though.

deepdarkwood Fri 14-Aug-09 20:45:12

WaterTimeLight is wonderful - my dad (also a diver) gave it to me, and I adore it.

I assume buying a voucher for a shop near her isn't feasible?
(You're a very dedicated present buyer smile)

queenofdenial2009 Fri 14-Aug-09 21:01:15

Seven Tenths (www.seventenths.co.uk) do great diving clothes - T-shirts, hoodies. As a happy diver, I would be thrilled with a voucher from them.

deepdarkwood Fri 14-Aug-09 21:46:29

Oh, yes seventenths stuff is cool - good idea smile

Leeka Fri 14-Aug-09 22:05:32

You won't get PADI or BSAC vouchers as the money would need to go to the instructors/dive school where you do the course, not to the organisation, IYSWIM - you would need to find out where she wanted to do a course and arrange vouchers directly with them.

GetToYourBED Fri 14-Aug-09 22:55:00

Many thanks for all of your advice. I am a million miles from Glasgow (not quite literally) and I only have until Weds to sort it out (so I am not that dedicated a buyer!).....unless I recruit a MNetter I suppose grin.

Seriously - I think that the 50 places to dive before you die looks perfect. It shows that I am considering her hobbies (and am therefore thoughtful). It spends a fraction of the funds (so she can have generic amazon or similar vouchers to spend on what she wants). And it looks like a beautiful book to dip into.

Tamz77 Sat 15-Aug-09 15:55:47

Sounds like a nice book but if you have a weensie bit more to spend wink a subscription to a good dive magazine would be really cool (speaking as an ex diver. 'Ex' meaning I now have a kid and never get to do it lol).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now