Talk

Advanced search

Windy Bubbles!

(12 Posts)
Nikaleeona Thu 26-May-05 14:09:36

Does anybody have any tips to help colic and wind. My 6 week old daughter suffers from colic all day and night and is constantly windy so spends most of the time screaming. We've tried using Infacol but it doesnt work and shes worked out how to spit it out now! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

elsmommy Thu 26-May-05 14:16:54

Is she bottle or breast fed?

WigWamBam Thu 26-May-05 14:18:51

It used to help my dd if I lay her along my arm tummy down, and swung her. Putting her in a baby swing always helped, too.

MarsLady Thu 26-May-05 14:20:36

you could try colief if you bottle feed (with formula or expressed breast milk) as the drops go in the bottle. You can get it on prescription. I found lying them on their tummies (as WWB describes) worked very well!

PrettyCandles Thu 26-May-05 14:26:43

Try never to feed her at less than 2-2.5 hour intervals. A dummy can help enormously, not just with extending the feeding gaps, but it somehow also helps with the tummy-ache.

When she's awake, change her position from time to time so that she gets to lie on both sides, on her front, and be upright, as well as lie on her back. Both of mine were dreadfully windy, and I found that it was absolutely the worst for them to lie on their backs - the wind gets stuck and really distresses them. As a result, dd slept on her tummy nearly from day one.

Whenever you change nappies, and from time to time between changes as well, lie her on her back and cycle her legs a bit, also do 'bunny leaps' (knees and feet together) and 'froggy jumps' (knees and feet apart) with her legs, tucking them well up to her tummy. That helps to release wind lower down.

Is she breast or bottle fed?

Nikaleeona Sun 12-Jun-05 12:55:00

She's bottle fed. Over the last few days its got worse and she cant drink her milk, she ends up having an ounce but then drinks water to calm her down.

Sax Sun 12-Jun-05 13:29:16

I tried infacol and it didn't work - however you cannot try one off doses it is supposed to be used EVERY feed - however - bottle fed - does your baby have the very first teet with just one or two small holes or one with more? Make sure its a newborn teet which means she isn't getting too much at once, also I would recommend breaks to burp in between the feed! Also try to increase the gap between feeds (not 4hly thats not practical) just slightly longer gaps so she isn't just topping up here and there but having a good feed and a good break in between.

Nikaleeona Tue 14-Jun-05 16:18:45

She is on newborn teats. We tried infacol every feed for a month but it didnt make any difference. We stop her to burp during her feed and she does bring up wind but thats when the most problems start and she cant drink her milk then, but cant bring up any more wind either.

spykid Tue 14-Jun-05 16:21:17

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but make sure you hold bottle at correct angle so baby is not gulping air

Titania Tue 14-Jun-05 16:24:24

try the dr browns bottles with the anticolic tube in them. they are a godsend. you can get them from mothercare and boots. I used them with ds2 who was a nightmare with colic. Also, try colief drops in the bottle. they break down the lactose and make it more digestible.

Titania Tue 14-Jun-05 16:24:59

and we bought a swing!! perfect to soothe them and give you handsfree time!

LIZS Tue 14-Jun-05 16:27:15

Have you tried a different formula ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now