Talk

Advanced search

trying to paint my house but making it look worse please HELP!!

(8 Posts)
Hther Sun 09-Aug-09 13:17:50

i thought i was ok at painting, i've painted several houses before and they looked lovely.

This time i'm struggling. It looks so patchy and i did a second coat, something i've rarely needed to do before and it still looks patchy, but ina different way. Before i had lots of white (or rather magnolia) patches, now i've done a second coat, most of these are covered but the walls look patchy still.

Maybe the walls are very porous? Or am i just useless at painting?

can't stand magnolia walls, i think they look absolutely awful, i have to have coloured walls, but councils and housing assocs always seem to paint all walls magnolia before they let the properties, i guess i should just have been grateful they were decorated and left them, and maybe i should complete this room and forget the rest

Hther Sun 09-Aug-09 13:30:50

also meant to say the paint comes off you seem to brush it on and off in same stroke

Naetha Sun 09-Aug-09 13:34:30

Are you using good quality paint? It makes all the difference, also invest in a good roller.

In our house we shied away from magnolia, and most of the house is painted in Leyland paints "Eros" blue which looks gorgeous - it's a pale bluey grey that doesn't make a room look cold or dark. We used Leyland "Midnight Blue" as a feature wall colour in fireplace alcoves etc.

That's just a suggestion if you like blue

Hther Sun 09-Aug-09 13:42:42

dulux blue, i really ahve done good jobs in the past, thebits where i can''t fit a roller are worst, the brush just brushes it straight back off

Overmydeadbody Sun 09-Aug-09 13:45:48

Sounds like poor quality plaster underneeth, or poor quality paint you are painting over.

Is it a new build by any chance? These need 12 months to dry out with just the porous paint the builders put on before any other paint can be applied.

I agree with you RE magnolia, vile colour.

sazm Sun 09-Aug-09 13:50:06

you get little rollers (meant for gloss work) which are great for doing walls too,

LaurieFairyCake Sun 09-Aug-09 13:55:13

It sounds like the walls have been painted in either eggshell or that wipeable paint - hence why you paint it on an it comes off in the next stroke.

I have had to do 3 coats to cover stuff like this.

It's not you smile

saggyhairyarse Tue 11-Aug-09 22:36:32

I think LFC is right, do your walls have a sheen? Are you using matt? It's not you, it's the paint!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now