Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Downsizing. Who's done it?

(34 Posts)
MrsDoolittle Wed 25-May-05 14:58:20

I'm just wondering really. I think dh and I are make the move next year. It's going to be a huge leap of faith and I'm excited and a little nervous of the prospect.

Flum Wed 25-May-05 14:59:26

Well just moved from city to country if that helps. Not really sure its downsizing. actually upsizing as we now have 2 extra rooms and a garden.

MrsDoolittle Wed 25-May-05 15:01:56

Flum - that's what I mean really. If you have chickens, a veggie patch, soft fruits etc.. A bit of self-sufficiency, I guess.

Flum Wed 25-May-05 15:02:45

No chickens or the rest. only been there 2 days and not their full time til next week.

will let you know how it goes.

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 11:57:45

How did you find it Flum?

Flum Thu 26-May-05 12:26:32

Last day at work today. Gonna actually sleep at new rural idyll from next Tuesday night.

Will let you know. Broadband should be in sometime next week. so will update then.

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 12:30:45

How did you find the house, I mean?

Toothache Thu 26-May-05 12:33:48

Gomez has just done it. She's moving in this weekend I think. She's going back to Uni you see.

...What if you pg though MrsD???

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 12:40:03

Even more exciting Toothache!!

Fennel Thu 26-May-05 12:43:36

where is your rural idyll flum? didn't I see on another thread it's somewhere in wiltshire?

we are planning a move to rural location, by sea with probably worse jobs and more sunshine, maybe chickens too - does that count? top ideas Devon, NZ, Oz, Spain or S. Wales.

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 12:44:50

That's us too exactly Fennel

Fennel Thu 26-May-05 12:45:42

i am stalking you on these threads today mrs D would you like to join our commune?!

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 12:47:21

Actually Fennel, that is not a bad idea.
We have been thinking about joining up with my parents - we are having a discussion about it this weekend. But things could be going pear shaped

Fennel Thu 26-May-05 12:49:56

parents!! I know there's babysitting advantages but that sounds a bit drastic. we are looking with dsis and her dp. but we've already lived with them so we are used to it.

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 12:52:55

Fennel, you have no idea how attractive and idea that is. I'd like chickens, a vegetable patch, homebrewing, but dh says I am too fussy in the house.

Fennel Thu 26-May-05 12:56:07

too fussy to share a house? we are considering something like an ex-b&b (in Devon, for instance) which could be several flats or separate homes with shared space too - co-housing rather than actual commune. and not too much garden as we all like the idea of self-sufficiency but actually none of us garden very much .

sharklet Thu 26-May-05 13:02:08

We've not so much downsized - but moved to a rural place with some land and a little orchard so we can be a weee bit more self sufficient. No chickens as yet - but lots and lots of fruit and vegetables.

Its lovely - we're out in the wilds of wiltshire and its lovely. Highly recommended. If your thinking of devon thats fab too (Devon lass me!) Steer clear of Plymouth though!

Emma x

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 13:02:33

I hate gardening but I'd like chickens. You wouldn't need much space anyway.

However, I don't think dh could find work in Devon. Infact, I don't know if there is much work in Devon.
I could probably, but I want to reduce what I'm doing anyway

sharklet Thu 26-May-05 13:06:38

Admittedly the job market in Devon is pretty slow. Hence why I don't live there now. Its good for a b&b though!

You don't need much space for chickens your right - just blooming good chiken wire - the foxes in theses ere parts are wily!

Emma x

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 13:10:46

Sharklet, dh works in Newbury. Anything roundabout that you know of?

turquoise Thu 26-May-05 13:13:35

I've been in our downsized house for a month - from giant "american dream" home in the US to a tiny bungalow in Kent (my ds's bedroom here is marginally smaller than my walk in closet in New Jersey)and I'm happier than I've been in years.

Admittedly that also has to do with relationship issues (xp is still chasing the $ out there) but I've just planted a load of caulis, a friend is letting me have a couple of her hens once I've found a cheap ark, and we're getting a rescue dog after half term.

If your dh is up for it too, then go for it - I've never been poorer financially, but genuinely feel peaceful and content in a way I never thought possible.

sharklet Thu 26-May-05 13:23:30

Mrs D,

I just moved from Newbury! He's not a Vodafone guy is he? Anyway we're in Aldbourne a gorgeous village 14 miles outside Newbury. 20 mins in the car. Lots of community spirit and rural enough for you to be able to do your chickens to your hearts content. Its called Aldbourne - have a peek if you like www.aldbourne.org.uk. If you go just over the Wiltshire border the property is a bit cheaper (renting or buying?) theres masses of lovely villages like Great Bedwyn, Little Bedwyn, Chilton Foliat, Ramsbury, Mildenhall. Its a wonderful place to relocate to - we have not regretted it for a minute!

Emma x

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 13:23:37

Isn't he beautiful?

sharklet Thu 26-May-05 13:25:06

I know what you mean about US houses Turquiose - my DH is a septic his folks were vivibly shaken at how little houses are here. Like little rabbit cages they said! Still I bet it nice to be home. I love the states but I am always glad to come back to blighty!

Emma xxx

MrsDoolittle Thu 26-May-05 13:27:10

Sharklet, we are renting at the moment. Thankfully, we don't have a house to sell. Dh works in Thatcham in publishing. Both of us are doing 70 miles a day commuting at the moment, in completely different directions.
I'm looking to drastically reduce my hours and live in the sticks, and dh could keep his job. Unfortunately we are of the impression this could only be affordable if we both move jobs and go north.
I bet your place is really expensive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now