Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question about dolls for pre-schoolers ???

(15 Posts)
beatie Wed 25-May-05 12:02:53

I have read about the Steiner approach to education and like some of the philosophy.

I'm interested in this quote taken from the Guardian articles on Steiner Schools.

"The closer something is to perfection," says Van-Manen, comparing the kindergarten's woollen dolls to plastic Barbies, "the less scope there is for imagining."

My dd is 2.6 and I plan to buy her a doll this summer. Does it matter hugely if the doll looks like a baby? Why would this make for less imaginative play? I sort of like the idea of her NOT having a doll that looks as life-like as a baby but I am not sure what other options I have. Plus, my reasons for preferring not to have a life-like baby doll is due to her young age not because I think she won;t develop her imagination.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I know it's a strange topic for a Wednesday morning.

merglemergle Thu 26-May-05 21:47:52

Beatie, theres a lot more information about Steiner dolls on a site called Waldorf Homeschoolers, but their connection is down right now so don't want to link to it. Suggest you google in a day or 2.

Have you seen Wardolf/Steiner dolls? If not-here (look under Waldorf dolls).

Out of curiousity, why don't you want her to have a baby doll?

spots Thu 26-May-05 22:01:26

Oh gawd I just looked at that website and I can't believe the prices! Beatie, I know this is maybe a bit naughty but you can ignore it if you want... should you wish to go down the cloth baby doll route I will handmake one on commission at a lot less than that... CAT me if you are at all interested!

Hulababy Thu 26-May-05 22:01:37

I am not really sure how you mean?

How will a baby doll affect imagination?

Just curious really.

Hulababy Thu 26-May-05 22:03:31

Hm.. after seeing the price of those dolls, I do wonder if it may not be a great marketing ploy. Sorry - £95 for a cloth doll!!!! Cynical maybe, but certainly not convinced yet.

merglemergle Fri 27-May-05 05:57:46

Oh god, I hadn't actually looked at the prices!

They ARE made in a particular way, sort of "segmented". And the faces are modeled. They will be sheepswool inside, and that hair takes about a day to sew on.

Cost of materials is about 10-15 quid, max, but each doll takes about 1 full,long day to make. But its all quite fun and you can make a doll that looks like your child.

They are actually very easy to make (I managed) though. If anyone wants more details I can point you to "plans".

But 95 pounds seems pretty steep.

beep Fri 27-May-05 06:07:26

my mother used to make the dolls that mm described for the christmas market at our school,they are relly lovely dd1 has one that she made for her.

geekgrrl Fri 27-May-05 06:36:48

ah well... rip-off britain strikes again.
I don't know whether the stuff about killing off imagination isn't all complete baloney, but Steiner dolls do look sweet. I ordered this this one from Germany for ds, it cost just £20 including shipping. Granted it's more of a baby version, but have a look around on that website.
These are a bit bigger . Kaethe Kruse a top brand doll manufacturer - what Steiff is for cuddly toys Kaethe Kruse is for dolls, and the doll we got really is very lovely, stuffed with wool etc.
Shipping from that website works out at £4, cheaper than many UK companies

bobbybob Fri 27-May-05 07:40:23

This morning my ds woke up his Cranky Crane from his trainset, gave him a wash, cleaned his teeth and gave him breakfast. He also uses a plastic asparagus spear as a screwdriver to fix things.

So I think they will play what they want to play, irrespective of the toy. I just think that if he had every toy in the whole universe then maybe he wouldn't develop an imagination.

Yorkiegirl Fri 27-May-05 07:59:23

Message withdrawn

sansouci Fri 27-May-05 08:51:17

What about that child in The Greengage Summer who had a potato doll? Anything goes!

Kidstrack2 Fri 27-May-05 09:51:48

My dd is 2 on mon 30th i have bought her baby abigail at 35pounds, my mil went mad at the price. I bought this particular one as she has had a small cloth doll since she was born and then at age 1 my sis bought her a plastic baby doll which she loved, she really loves prams and dolls and watching her play with them reminds me of playing dolls when i was younger. Baby abigail has a dummy and bottle with her and makes real sounds, which i know dd will love as a freinds 3yr old has baby chou chou which dd screams to play with. When we go to toddler groups dd does not entertain the dolls with hair and don't look like baby dolls, but plays with the ones that look like real babies!

LIZS Fri 27-May-05 11:44:59

geekgirl thank you so much for that link to Kaethe Kruse. Have just enquired as to whether they can send replacement fabric for dd's beloved schmusetuch bear. Hadn't previosuly located it.

As to the original question the French brand Corolle dolls are lovely and come in different sizes, age suitability and not all are baby dolls, some with accessories for role play.Like these but I'm sure there are others available.

LIZS Fri 27-May-05 11:53:04

These are rather sweet too - we have a few, including the one who sings !

geekgrrl Fri 27-May-05 14:03:13

LIZS, if they can't help you (it's just a toyshop, not Kaethe Kruse themselves) try contacting Kaethe Kruse directly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now