Talk

Advanced search

New School Kitchen. Who should I get to open it?

(26 Posts)
Anteater Wed 25-May-05 11:33:35

Have been asked to provide a 'face' to open new school kitchen in June. Have contacted Jamie and Delia but not holding my breath!!
Anybody any ideas on who may do it?

lemonice Wed 25-May-05 12:22:49

No idea whether they ever do this sort of thing but what about Little Ant and Dec

desperatehousewife Wed 25-May-05 12:27:27

ainsley harriet?

elibelly Wed 25-May-05 12:29:35

what about that dinner lady who's book is doing well... Jeanette Orrey, or is she not enough of a 'face'?

ScummyMummy Wed 25-May-05 12:29:48

How about the dinner ladies who will work it, bedecked in splendid jewels? Perhaps led by Nora who was the dinner lady on the Jamie Oliver programme?

elibelly Wed 25-May-05 12:31:09

June is probably quite short notice for a celeb chef, but you never know. Anthony Worrell Thompson? He's been banging on about healthy eating lately

Gobbledigook Wed 25-May-05 12:36:02

Does it need to be someone with a kitchen/food connection or can it just be someone the kids will know?

bundle Wed 25-May-05 12:36:44

where do you live?

JoolsToo Wed 25-May-05 12:36:50

I'm available

Gobbledigook Wed 25-May-05 12:37:13

Yeah, they'll just think you are Anne Robinson - GUFFAW!

MarsLady Wed 25-May-05 12:39:42

Why not Norah the real face of JO's tv programme!

desperatehousewife Wed 25-May-05 12:39:46

You could get a mum or dad to dress up as someone (hire a costume) - buzz lightyear or spider man or mr blobby???!!! or get a lookielikee - someone like the Queen...?

Anteater Wed 25-May-05 12:43:59

Actually was thinking of asking JT to dress up as Delia..

Anthony Worrell Thompson looks quite reasonable at £18000 ffs !!

Love the idea of dinner ladies in splendid jewels!

Oh, we are in Cumbria.

JoolsToo Wed 25-May-05 12:44:56

what happened with the house Anty?

bundle Wed 25-May-05 12:45:59

i would try and think of someone more local, they're much more likely to do it than a national celeb. the dinner ladies in bling sounds great..i'm sure the local press would be interested in that!

lemonice Wed 25-May-05 12:46:25

Just realised I suggested Little Ant to Anteater!

Maybe get some children to dress up as chefs

Anteater Wed 25-May-05 12:47:04

Zero, outbit by 5 x AWT appearance fee!

giraffeski Wed 25-May-05 12:49:26

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Wed 25-May-05 12:50:10

blimey! someone was really keen then!

I've just seen my perfect house - Beck Head - we pass it on our Whitbarrow Scar walk - its in a really beautiful setting - only snag £2.1 m

Hackney & Leigh if you want a look!

Anteater Wed 25-May-05 15:55:52

Delia can not make it, outa the country...
but she has offered the use of 3 recipes if we want!
No word yet from Jamie, but I thinks hes on his way to Italy in a Campervan... is there no celeb chefs left in the UK at the moment??

Is Susywong a celeb chef?? She is in my eyes! Long way away tho

Any more ideas on what we can do with the 3 dinner ladies?

roisin Wed 25-May-05 18:51:55

Doesn't Clarissa Dickson Wright claim to shop up here frequently?

Slightly more realistically - are you after serious suggestions? -

Are there any 'named chefs' in any smart restaurants near you? Hardly celebrity, but they might be happy to jump on Jamie's bandwagon for a bit of free publicity?! You could ask them at the same time to donate a meal-for-two for your next raffle prize?!

Or how about an owner of one of these homegrown-organic bakeries/lemon curd/sticky toffee pudding manufacturer businesses that are dotted all over the place round here?

elibelly Wed 25-May-05 18:54:04

sorry I suggested AWT, didn't realise he was so expensive, probably doesn't like pa's so has priced himself out of the market.

roisin Wed 25-May-05 19:10:28

I met the Bishop of Penrith the other day ... he seems a very nice bloke; maybe he could do it?!

bubble99 Wed 25-May-05 20:17:43

You could try Nick Nairn, he's based in Scotland. Long shot though. Mind you, he always seems to lose on Ready Steady Cook so might be up for a PA to restore his cred. We had a school opening last year and had a local celeb there. I suspect that it may be too late to get anyone for June but you never know. Failing that I definately agree that the Diamond Dinner Ladies sound like a good idea. You could also get some kids dresed up as veg. Carrots, peas etc. Whatever you do make a day of it. We approached our local Waitrose and they provided some cases of champagne and staff to help serve it. They also provided 100 odd picnics bags for the children. Very generous indeed.

Anteater Thu 26-May-05 10:50:23

Clarissa Dickson Wright is signed up by one of those 'Pay to show up' outfits.. Cant find a contact for her anyway.
Bishop of Penrith, dont you mean of Carlisle?
Could ask our local posh Hotel Chef, Sharrow Bay, just seems a bit obvious.
Dressing up the dinner ladies has hygene issues so i'm told.
Too busy to be doing this really!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now