Talk

Advanced search

Called social services (child protection) on my neighbour today

(17 Posts)
dididotherightthing Thu 06-Aug-09 22:00:16

As the mother was physically fighting with her son (aged about 13) and goading him to punch her. I have listened for months since they moved in to their screaming. I've otten seen him outside crying when she has thrown him out. I know he has behavioral difficulties but listening to what has been going on its hard not to think that that ois because of they way his mother treats him. The fathers lives elsewhere and she has also had a violent relationship with another man whilst living here.

Their back door was open and the whole street could hear what was happening and when I heard her sa 'go on, punch me' over and over I just snapped and rang ss without thinking about it any further.

It is something I've thought about doing in the past but know the citcumstances for kids of his age in care are not good. I hope it doesn't come to that of course.

I really just hope they can help her with anger management or better parenting skills, or something.

I am very worried that I have done the right thing. Also, I asked to be kept ananymous but am also afraid my windows will be put out sometime in future anyway.

controlfreakythecontrolfreak Thu 06-Aug-09 22:02:34

of course you did the right thing.

hester Thu 06-Aug-09 22:04:30

You did the right thing. I'm not surprised you're feeling shaky now; have a glass of wine and breathe.

Really hope this woman and her son get some effective help.

dididotherightthing Thu 06-Aug-09 22:04:34

I know. I also know she must be in the pit of hell at the moment because of it. I just hope it helps in some way.

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 06-Aug-09 22:05:09

yes. you did the right thing. That boy needs someone to help him.

SixtyFootDoll Thu 06-Aug-09 22:05:59

you absolutley did the right thing
She cannot cope
hopefully SSD will put in some support for her

hayes Thu 06-Aug-09 22:08:48

you did the right thing, she will hopefully get some support that will help her and her family to have a fulfilling life

dididotherightthing Thu 06-Aug-09 22:18:33

Just feel a bit sick. I won't lie, part of that is fear.

hester Thu 06-Aug-09 22:55:58

Do you think it would help if you rang back for reassurance that it really will be kept anonymous?

cheesesarnie Thu 06-Aug-09 22:58:17

i agree you did the right thing.hopefully now they will get some help.

littledee Thu 06-Aug-09 22:58:51

Good for you, they both need help.

Greensleeves Thu 06-Aug-09 23:00:17

Yes you DID do the right thing

what choice did you have? The poor little love, you had to do something sad

here's a hug ((((((((hug))))))))) from me for being brave and doing something positive to help that family

and don't be scared, she won't know it's you - it could be anybody, if she does this outside her house

TheCrackFox Thu 06-Aug-09 23:09:51

You did the right thing.

SS may well arrange parenting classes and give her the skills to cope. You never know, there might be a happy ending.

Mamazon Thu 06-Aug-09 23:16:13

of course you did the right thing.
Dont worry about what will happen to him, he will not be placed into care unless mum states she really cannot cope with him any longer.

It sounds like a chicken and egg sceanrio as far as his behaviour issues are concerned. maybe mum has gotten to the end of her tether with him and has lost all perspective. he is probably very big and seems a lot more grown up to her.

SS will make an appointment and will make sure they speak to this lad alone. they will ask him how things are at home. they will discuss the issues you have raised with the mum and if they feel there is anything they can do they will.
it is likely that all that will happen is low level monitoring and some suggested parenting classes. but it meqans that school will be made aware of the refferal and people will keep an eye on him and any other children.

You have done the right thing. stop panicing

OneTrickPony Thu 06-Aug-09 23:21:41

Message withdrawn

teamcullen Thu 06-Aug-09 23:29:54

yes you have done the right thing. Did you know that its classed as child abuse for a child to watch domestic violence. If they are not already under SS they probably should be.

Its not as if its the first time you have seen/heard them fighting. SS do their best to keep families together so if this boy was to go into care after this, i'd bet that SS know a lot more than 1 phonecall.

dididotherightthing Fri 07-Aug-09 15:11:10

Cheers, Greeny. Mama and all of you.

I rang back today and it seems it was just as well as whoever was on duty yesterday didn't log it.

Now my only real problemis that I can't get my usual talk name back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now