Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bad Day at Sobernow Homestead - just need to offload!

(69 Posts)
sobernow Tue 24-May-05 18:58:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lima Tue 24-May-05 18:59:26

poor you

Gobbledigook Tue 24-May-05 18:59:31

Oh Sobernow - that sounds horrendous. YOu are a saint - no way could I cope with that.

Large glass of wine?

SenoraPostrophe Tue 24-May-05 19:03:23

sobernow - you've just put my life into perspective.

on your behalf at your siblings in law.

hunkermunker Tue 24-May-05 19:04:12

Oh, Sobernow - make sure you don't live up to your chatname this evening, hun. on your behalf xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

astonished Tue 24-May-05 19:07:03

Sobernow, I really hope the next few days are okay for you. xx BTW I think you have every right to feel pissed off, its just crap when theres not much you can do about it. take care

LGJ Tue 24-May-05 19:09:45

Can't they get him into an NHS equivalent of the priory, the man sound as though he is beyond help ...

How old are DH's aunts and uncles ?? Maybe they just haven't got the energy to cope with him, not saying you should have BTW

sobernow Tue 24-May-05 19:11:22

astonished Tue 24-May-05 19:13:13

I will oblige!! Really do feel for you.x

LGJ Tue 24-May-05 19:14:32

Sobernow

This is for you, and that is not me

sobernow Tue 24-May-05 19:15:59

sobernow Tue 24-May-05 19:21:02

Surfermum Tue 24-May-05 19:21:05

Poor you. I don't blame you for being angry, I would be too. I can't believe how selfish his other children are being, and it isn't fair on your dd's. You're a complete star for agreeing to have him. Hope it isn't too awful.

trefusis Tue 24-May-05 19:25:25

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Tue 24-May-05 19:33:10

What a bl**dy nightmare, sobernow - very much sympathy, useless though it is. Very on your behalf. My Mum cared for her schizophrenic older brother for 20 years (he lived with us and died when I was 15). She had 3 other sisters and another brother and in all that time not one of them offered to have him to stay so she could have a break (and she had my brother and I to look after too, obviously)

Actually, I tell a lie - one sister had him for a week once when we went on holiday. When Mum asked again a few years later she said she couldn't as he was "too disruptive" to their family life...

sobernow Tue 24-May-05 20:39:12

sobernow Tue 24-May-05 20:44:12

SenoraPostrophe Tue 24-May-05 20:50:56

oh go on (to the photo for the local paper).

Is it a chain of dry cleaners? If so I'd double or treble the cost of the dress, if not i probably wouldn't. You could buy your dds something nice for them to have as an heirloom instead, and keep the bolero jacket either for one of them to wear, or to be cut up and made into something else (a hairpiece? corset top?) that would be significant for them on their wedding days. You could keep it in a box with the photo from the local paper.

sorry, i'm rambling now!

Marina Tue 24-May-05 21:00:58

Oh sobernow, what a crappy day
I would definitely take the cleaners to the cleaners and maybe use the proceeds to fund a family treat once you have offloaded the old pig.
Remember you are saints and will be rewarded in Heaven for this really altruistic act...

motherinferior Tue 24-May-05 21:11:50

Sweetheart, there's nothing I can say - all quite horrible, vile vile VILE.

NomDePlume Tue 24-May-05 21:19:29

God that sounds truly awful, sobernow. Sympathies

Pruni Tue 24-May-05 21:22:18

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 24-May-05 21:23:57

sobernow...why the five day specification? What happens then?

batters Tue 24-May-05 21:31:32

Yep - an awful, awful day, sorry sobernow .

I was going to post some crap about my own experience with an alcoholic relative but then remembered your own history, so I can't even do that.

TBH I don't know how you are going to cope with your FIL and your kids around, I really don't. I am actually quite worried for you. To be stuck with an alcoholic relative is bad enough, but one who is drying out is far, far worse.

Re the wedding dress, get the most money you can from the dry cleaners, however much you get, it is your just "reward".

Take care and let us know how you are getting on.

sobernow Tue 24-May-05 22:23:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now