Talk

Advanced search

Making DCs aware that dps have sex - sorry I know that sounds wrong - help!

(11 Posts)
33k Tue 04-Aug-09 20:42:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

33k Tue 04-Aug-09 21:23:34

ChasingSquirrels Tue 04-Aug-09 21:27:12

I don't remember when I became aware that my parents had sex, I do remember hearing the bed creaking as a teen and knowing they were - and thinking it was perfectly natural and not understanding when friends found it horrifying that their parents had sex.

how to make it normal - not sure, especially as no longer with ex, so if/when someone new comes on the scene it will mean introducing them aswell.

have talked to ds1 about how babies are conceived, and grow, and are born from when he was about 3.5y. Am open about bodies, and functions.

not much help in this waffly post.

Scorps Tue 04-Aug-09 21:30:48

I remember being told at a young age, that how you made babies also made nice feelings in your body that was comfortable between two adults who wanted to do it. My parents said that in a happy healthy marriage people did 'it' sometimes, as it was about loving each other grown uply.

Sorry for childish language, just how i was told. Sex was very open topic in our house growing up.

33k Tue 04-Aug-09 21:33:52

glucose Tue 04-Aug-09 21:40:41

the idea of parents having sex is horrifying for many children, and probably many adults dont go there either. It is cringy to hear couples having sex, do it on the floor if your bed squeeks.
I would not expect my child to be intrested in my sex life. I am not sure that this is something that you can 'lead by example' on.
DC need the right information to have safe sex, and ideally in a loving relationship.
Have your children started watching TV programmes with sex in them? (when are they on?? grin

hercules1 Tue 04-Aug-09 21:43:36

Did anyone just read that article in Sat Times about the FML website? One person posted something along the lines of having to tell his parents he could hear them having sex at night and could he move rooms. The next day his dad came to see him and asked if he thought his mum sounded satisfied. The kid then posted FML (fuck my life).

33k Tue 04-Aug-09 21:44:09

ChasingSquirrels Tue 04-Aug-09 21:45:20

oh reading Scorps post, have also told ds1 that. He said something like "you and daddy must have "had sex" (was more descriptive as I haven't actually used a word for it) twice because there is me and ds2" and I explained that while sex can make babies it is also something that makes you feel good and which you do when you love each other, so we had actually had sex lots of times, not just twice.

33k Tue 04-Aug-09 21:58:11

glucose Tue 04-Aug-09 22:27:38

33k - yes it is important, but the fact that you are giving it some thought, makes you miles away from the mother who tells her daughter to f off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now