Talk

Advanced search

Writing thank you notes for your kids, Do you do it?

(15 Posts)
bumpyboo Tue 04-Aug-09 10:40:24

I'm just sitting here writing a load of thank you notes on behalf of my daughter, she's too young to write herself obviously.
I'm thinking though that I have never received one from any parent/child I have bought presents for over the years including quite close family, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but I just wondered. Does anyone still do this?

I remember hating having to write thank you's to every relative when I was little, my Mum had to force us to do it.

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 10:41:42

It's pretty rude not to send anything shock

could she help you make a card so she has some part in the process or is she a tiny infant?

HuffySpice Tue 04-Aug-09 10:43:11

I do, and I involve the children.

A painty foot or hand print on a card, or a scribble when they're old enough, plus a note from me saying thank you.

I don't mind a bit if other people don't bother. It is always a lovely bonus if someone else does bother.

notyummy Tue 04-Aug-09 10:43:27

I send them....and most of my friends/relatives do as well. Not all - at very least I get an email though.

She has just turned three. By 5 she will writing her own (very short) notes.

rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 10:43:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Overmydeadbody Tue 04-Aug-09 10:45:26

It is polite, but I would get your DD to at least do a scribble or a drawing on the note so she is part of the process.

You need to get her into the habit of doing it, so the first thing would be to involve her somehow.

I used to take a photo of DS with the present, and print it out and get him to write something underneed, just his name or squiggles or xxx when he was little.

Now he is 6 he writes his own thank you cards.

PestoMonster Tue 04-Aug-09 10:51:09

My dds do theirs themselves now that they are older. But I have always done them, ever since I was a child and continued to do so once the girls were born. I think it's really rude not to send a thank you if someone has bothered to buy you a present.

stealthsquiggle Tue 04-Aug-09 10:52:14

I still do it. Child involvement progresses from none (apart from posing for a photo), to drawing a picture, to signing their name, to doing the whole thing themselves.

bumpyboo Tue 04-Aug-09 12:11:42

Yes, I am going to get her to squiggle something at the bottom. Nice to hear that other people still do it.

nigglewiggle Tue 04-Aug-09 12:17:07

I still do it for my children and when they are old enough, they will do their own. I only receive thank you notes from my sister's children and one other friend. I would feel very rude not to do it but others obviously don't feel the same.

girlsyearapart Tue 04-Aug-09 12:28:27

Yes I do and am not impressed by SILs kids who live in Australia and never even acknowledge gifts/money sent. If you are with the person when the gift is given then not too bad but someone who has made an effort to send something then I thinks it rude not to.
One year my sister made my nephew write his thankyou immediately after opening each present! He was only allowed the next one once it was done. Think he was 7 and had been particularly bratty about receiving presents that year..
Think especially older people/relatives would be offended not to be thanked and really appreciate a note.

sfxmum Tue 04-Aug-09 12:30:11

yes I do and get dd to draw or write at the bottom, will no doubt nag her to write her own in years to come, it annoys me that people, especially family do not acknowledge gifts

Aranea Tue 04-Aug-09 12:32:28

I do it if the children haven't received and thanked for a gift when the giver is there. And I do it in any case if the giver is over a certain age.

I hate it when I send parcels for other peoples children and don't hear anything. I really don't care if I get a card or not (though it is lovely) - just a phone call or a text to say it has been received and appreciated would make me feel happy.

cornflakegirl Tue 04-Aug-09 12:53:19

I'm actually slightly anti receiving thank you notes when we've already been thanked in person - just see them as something else to recycle. So for that reason, and because of laziness, we don't do thank you notes if the giver has been thanked in person. Although I did bend that rule for DS' birthday this year. Even though he opened all his presents at his party, and said thank you at the time, it was a bit of a melee, so we did thank you notes as a belt and braces measure.

But agree with Aranea - thank you notes for old people, and a note or a phone call if the gift has been posted or whatever. If I've posted a gift, I actually prefer a text on the day to a beautiful note a week later - then at least I know it's got there.

jumpyjan Tue 04-Aug-09 12:56:51

Yes, I always write thank you notes from DD. We normally make the cards together and I write them (she is 2.5!)

I will force them to write thank you notes when they are older too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now