Talk

Advanced search

the dollies thread has just reminded me - I saw some of those adults-with-lifelike-baby-dolls-in-real-prams loonies recently!

(21 Posts)
MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 14:34:54

What are they called, born again dolls or something?

A couple were pushing two very old style ornate prams (with broderie anglaise, etc) round the great yorkshire show, having not seen pretty prams very often I leaned closer for a nosey - inside each was one of those freaky plastic doll things. I then realised that the couple were wearing tshirts with "Brenda's babies" or some such crud written on the back and they were handing out leaflets about buying the freaky dolls.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeirdy

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 14:35:38

ewww they are creepy

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 14:39:44

We watched loads of people peek in to see the babies and then try to hide their shock when they saw a doll!

KingRolo Fri 31-Jul-09 14:43:33

Really, really weirdy.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 31-Jul-09 14:50:07

Very very odd. That documentary where the woman went to the US to collect her order. She was pacing the hotel room waiting for the call to say it was ready and she said 'ooh, this is just like labour' hmm Silly cow.

But what I really don't get is, fair enough, some people have issues relating to babies and can go a bit strange and then others are just plain loopy so I can sort of understand the market, and the babies don't vomit into your hands like dd did to me last night hmm. So you might want to pretend you've got a baby. Fine. Good. But why take it out for a walk in one of those fuck off big prams where you know that people are going to be intrigued and look in? It must be a bit embarrassing for you when everyone's face falls at the sight of your 'baby'.

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 14:51:57

or asks "is she good?"

EyeballsintheSky Fri 31-Jul-09 14:54:02

At least you can smile smugly and say 'an angel, never makes a sound' and mean it!

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 14:55:29

Oh yes that documentary was full of peculiars!

KingRolo Fri 31-Jul-09 15:03:17

She sleeps through the night grin

posieparkerinChina Fri 31-Jul-09 15:06:18

I saw a woman in a service station with one, she was fussing with it's over fussy lacy clothes and I just knew. She then went into the baby change, I just thought wtf?... and tried very hard to get DH to understand as he returned from M&S. Why are men so rubbish at subtlety?

Freaky freaky freak freak.

KingRolo Fri 31-Jul-09 15:12:26

Not quite as bad as those women who have monkies and dress them in baby clothes.

KingRolo Fri 31-Jul-09 15:13:02

monkies? monkeys!

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 15:13:39

that's really sad

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Jul-09 15:17:10

KingRolo, where do you live exactly? Don't think I've ever seen a pet monkey!

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 15:18:54

monkies? eh?

KingRolo Fri 31-Jul-09 15:31:26

It was on the telly box - My Monkey Baby. Sad Americans who adopt monkeys and dress them up like babies. Honestly!

EyeballsintheSky Fri 31-Jul-09 15:32:04

Like Michael Jackson? wink

KingRolo Fri 31-Jul-09 15:32:39

A bit like this but for real.

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 15:34:05

good lord

DollyPS Fri 31-Jul-09 15:38:51

god I seen that programme as well it was the one with the grandson she had made when he was a baby all cos she had issues that her daughter left to go aboard with her child and her man said its like its from the morgue. Which was in fact true.

very bizarre to say the least.

moshie Sat 01-Aug-09 17:38:25

Oh yes, we saw one at the Royal Welsh Show. DH said she needs to put the hood up or the baby will get sunburn. Doh! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now