Talk

Advanced search

Parents who work weekends and have school age children

(10 Posts)
nutcracker Mon 23-May-05 14:01:08

Does it work for you or not ???

Have just requested an application form for a job as a weekend catering assistant at the local hospital. The hours are 7am until 3pm saturday and sunday.

From what i have been able to work out so far, this would make us £200 a month better off which is sooooooooo needed as we are broke and sinking fast again.

BUT

1) Dp will not be impressed at having all 3 kids all weekend

2) It will mean i won't see much of my eldest two as they are at school in the week. I will miss Dd1's ballet performances which i know she will hate.

Does anyone else work weekends and is it worth it ??

CHUNKYMUNKEY Mon 23-May-05 18:39:03

I dont work weekends nutcracker i work two week days but am being made redundant in July and have also requested an application form for a saturday and Sunday job but i am also worried about the same things you are. The plus side for me is that i would have the school holidays, the down side will be lack of family time, but we cannot afford mortgate, bills etc on dp's wage so something has to give.

Gobbledigook Mon 23-May-05 19:31:58

Nutty - I think if you are struggling to make ends meet, you just have to do what is best atm, even if that means seeing a little less of the kids. If you are at home during the week, at least you are there for them after school and if you finish work at 3pm on the weekend, there is time to spend with them in the afternoon.

I often have to work at the weekend because I work freelance and the kids are not in school yet so all my work is evening/weekend. It's a PITA and I don't like it and I know dh doesn't particularly like being on his own with the kids all day (we all know it's hard work!) but it's needs must. It's worth it for all that my earnings provide.

I don't think anything is ideal when you've got children and you need to earn but this would seem like a good solution for you.

Good luck - I hope it works out xx

Gobbledigook Mon 23-May-05 19:32:34

CM makes a good point - if you are not working in the week, you don't have school hols to worry about either.

maddiemo Mon 23-May-05 19:42:02

I work two evenings a week, Thurs and Fri. At first I was shattered but am now pretty used to it. It is nice that you don't miss school events etc or have to juggle to fit them in.
I would go for the job especially as like us you need the income. If it doesn't work out maybe you could look for a couple of evenings a week so that it doesen't impact on your weekend.

Good luck

aaliyahsmum Mon 23-May-05 19:47:28

i work at the local shop 7-5 on sat and 7-12 on sun i was worried about dp and dd getting on at first but they get on great and often do fun things and always meet me for lunch on sat i cant say i am happy about the hours but in our town there are no jobs so you have to take what is available, dp hates me working wkends cos it was our only real time together but he is getting used to it

CHUNKYMUNKEY Mon 23-May-05 19:56:40

If i get the weekend job that i apply for i will make sure that i spend as much of my time before and after school with her and get any chores done during the day plus a dinner made so that this doesn't impact on my time with my dd during the week. I will also try to make school holiday time extra special. I agree with the othe comments made about working, no situation is ideal, i would much prefer not to work but i have to financially. Good luck with your decision

nutcracker Mon 23-May-05 20:00:52

Thanks for the replies. I think you are all right and it is a good solution in that I would still be there for school hols etc.

I would like you say have to make an extra effort to spend time with the girls after school and perhaps go swimming or to the park when i finnished work on the sunday.

Haven't even mentioned it to dp yet, don't think i'll bother until i find out if i have an interview.

nutcracker Mon 23-May-05 20:01:33

It would also enable me to learn to drive which I am desperate to do and I need to do for when i eventually go to uni.

Gobbledigook Tue 24-May-05 18:56:37

How'd it go Nutty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now