Talk

Advanced search

Wedding ring stuck! Help me get it off.

(25 Posts)
caykon Tue 28-Jul-09 13:30:59

My wedding ring is tight anyway as I am a bit heavier now than when I got married, but I have always been able to get it on and off.
Last night I was helping dh demolish a wall for our extension and using the sledge hammer has flattened my wedding ring and now I cant get it off. It is very tight and my finger is a bit swollen.
Tried washing up liquid and ice to reduce swelling but its stuck not budging. I really dont want it cut off its my wedding ring sad

SOLOisMeredithGrey Tue 28-Jul-09 13:32:52

Try rubbing olive oil on the finger, under the ring etc and putting your hand into a cold bowl of water before wriggling the ring off in the water.

ZoeC Tue 28-Jul-09 13:34:42

I used washing up liquid to get mine off when I was pg and it got stuck.

caykon Tue 28-Jul-09 13:47:09

I will try the olive oil, washing up liquid didnt work.

mummylin2495 Tue 28-Jul-09 14:09:37

try getting the ring as far as your knuckle then pulling the skin through rather than keep pushing the ring off.You can also try using some water with washing powder in as this makes the finger quite slippery too.

Haylstones Tue 28-Jul-09 14:10:11

Window cleaner- any spray stuff.
Honestly, I tried EVERYTHING and that worked within seconds.
Go try it now

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 28-Jul-09 14:43:05

cold water to reduce swelling
lubrication (oil or silicon hair serum is good)
twist ring off - like corn from bottle

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 28-Jul-09 14:43:36

doh cork!

stillstanding Tue 28-Jul-09 14:45:20

Soap and water? Always worked for me with a bit of tugging.

bradsmissus Tue 28-Jul-09 14:50:05

If you are using anything over the sink - make sure you put the plug in first! wink

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Tue 28-Jul-09 14:52:52

you could carefully hit the other side with the sledge hammer to reshape grin - see i can be both helpful and dangerous grin

HeathersMummy Tue 28-Jul-09 15:04:46

Hand cream - lashings and lashings of the stuff. It was a tip from a jeweller and worked for me after I put on a pound or two (or ten!) grin

wifeofdoom Tue 28-Jul-09 15:15:30

another vote for window cleaner - I put hand in air in ice for about 10 mins, sprayed on the cleaner and then it came off (with a lot of twisting).

caykon Tue 28-Jul-09 15:33:38

Just tried the window cleaner but just couldnt get it over the swelling so going to ice it and wait for the swelling to recede a bit and give it another go.

nappy I did consider doing that but the other side has diamonds in it and was worried about knocking them out and doing more damage.

Haylstones Tue 28-Jul-09 15:59:48

Make sure you twist it off rather than pull it off. It will feel like it's stuck on the knuckle but keep going- if you get on the knuckle you'remorethan halfway there- don't go back!
I got my engagement ring well and truly stuck but eventually got it off first time with window cleaner.

caykon Tue 28-Jul-09 17:01:45

its too swollen to get it too the knuckle yet, but can stll twist it on the base of my finger so not cutting off circulation yet. Will let it calm down then use the window cleaner.

BottySpottom Tue 28-Jul-09 17:05:29

I'd wait until you are mid-cycle if you are not already. I had to have mine cut off last year and it was fine. There was a slight problem as they cut through either the hallmark or inscription (can't remember) but it was sent away to be sorted and was fine.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Wed 29-Jul-09 12:02:53

I can't work out what kind of spray window cleaner you are all talking about. Most of those are water and vinegar aren't they?

slug Wed 29-Jul-09 12:39:04

I've seen this done in a hospital with my grandmother's arthritic knuckles.

Wind a strong thread over the swollen part of your finger. Leave a long bit of the thread on the inner side, near the ring. Try and move the ring onto the wound part of your finger. Try and free the end of the thread so it's on the other side of the ring, then start to unwind. What should happen is: the thread compresses your finger, unwinding it pushes the ring from behind.

pugsandseals Wed 29-Jul-09 12:43:34

MIL bought a jade bracelet in China last month- couldn't get it on/off at first & shop lady suggested putting her hand in a plastic bag!?!
I was very hmm but have since seen her do it & it definately won't come off with anything else!
Don't know if it will wotk with gold, but it might be worth a try smile
If not, take faith that I had my wedding ring cut off when I got my finger trapped moving a piano- 9 years later & it doesn't seem to have affected our relationship wink

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 29-Jul-09 15:02:52

That is really useful Pugs. DH bought one of those for me and I got drunk and accidentally discolated thumb getting it on. Has been on for a few years now, so that is handy tip!grin

Haylstones Wed 29-Jul-09 19:36:12

The sppray window cleaner is just this stuff
Works a treat on windows as well smile

caykon Wed 29-Jul-09 21:59:11

The swelling is going down and the ring is still on, I want to get it off so I can have it reshaped.
My wedding ring is platinum will putting loads of window cleaner on it affect it in any way?

Wolfcub Wed 29-Jul-09 22:03:16

when you get the ring up to the knuckle bend your finger, (tip from bloke in posh ring shop) a ring that is totally jammed on a straight finger, at the knuckle, will slide over a bent finger

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 29-Jul-09 22:05:50

Hand cream

I would go to a jewellers to ge them to take it off. You can take the pain better when someone else is doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now