Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

slightly distasteful comments by in-laws etc

(8 Posts)
margotandjerry Tue 28-Jul-09 06:35:42

Dd was breastfeeding (she did until she was 2 btw) and MIL quipped, 'That looks nice..can I have some?' well-intentioned perhaps but oh so very wrong. Yet another rather eughhh MIL comment. Any more to share?

moondog Tue 28-Jul-09 06:43:08

Maybe she was just trying to be supportive but it would make me squirm too. At least it wasn't a bloke saying it.

RoseOfTheOrient Tue 28-Jul-09 06:44:49

you should have made her a cup of tea and then whipped your boob out and squirted some milk in for her! that would have shut her up!

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 07:18:43

when my X MIL was told I was PG - she locked me in her bathroom, and told me it was "like having a tooth taken out, go up to the hospital and get rid"

lovely honest catholic woman (and a nurse!) shock

margotandjerry Tue 28-Jul-09 07:23:44

shockshockonly....sounds like something out of league of gentlemen

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 07:34:45

yea, she was a truely horrid thing, havent seen herin about a year now, how lurvely!!

whatmaisieknew Tue 28-Jul-09 20:10:08

we had ds1 about 5 yrs after we married - planned. MIL said to sil "Thank God. i was convinced there was something really WRONG with Maisie"...

<<sil of course spilled the beans. I laughed a hollow laugh while inwardly seething as the comment was simply wrong on so many levels>>

petunia Tue 28-Jul-09 21:03:37

I don't have a great relationship with my ILs anyway (lots of tantrums just because I married their Son, abuse over the phone, being left out of photos, me sitting in their lounge for hours by myself, while they sat in another room with DH and DDs when we visited them etc) but the "straw that broke the camel's back" and made our relationship go from tolerable to icy, was when MIL rang up 5 days after a miscarriage (4 years ago), and said that the only thing she was ringing up for was to ask, "If I'd done the test yet" (the pregnancy test given to me after the scan at the hospital to confirm I'd miscarried, which I was told to do 2 weeks after the miscarriage. Why DH had decided that his mother needed to know I'd been given a test to do, I'll never know; it was nothing to do with her!)

It doesn't sound that bad here but it wasn't just the fact that she did it, it was the tactless way she did it. (And why ring up and ask the question anyway- did she not believe I'd been pregnant and made it all up?) The worst thing was that DH didn't think it was that bad a thing to do. When I got upset about it (a week after the miscarriage), he told me to "pull myself together" sad. He preferred to tell me to do that, rather than agree that his mother had been a bit tactless (I'm so married to a mummy's boy!)

But for me that was it, after 12 years of putting up with their cr@p I quit visiting and I now only see them once a year! MIL hates it though because I'm not conforming and playing at 'happy families' anymore!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now