Talk

Advanced search

I am buying my first bike as an adult and havent chosen yet - need a bike & toddler seat, what do I need to know?

(22 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:27:00

I think Tuesday I am going to buy a bike shock

I have wanted one for ages with a toddler seat for DS (3 in 2 weeks) I have a really weeny budget - have heard ASDA are doing one atm for £70 which is surely very simple but I dont need any bells & whistles.

What do I need to know? Any recommendations for bikes, toddler seats, top tips from seasoned cyclists?

thisisyesterday Sun 26-Jul-09 22:28:30

i did tons of research when we got a seat for ds1 and decided on the co-pilot limo for good safety and stuff like that

i picked mine up on ebay fairly cheap.

whomovedmychocolatestarfish Sun 26-Jul-09 22:31:22

How tall are you? You need to get the right frame size. Depending on what sort of roads/tracks you are going on you may need a hybrid, a mountain bike or a road bike.

You can go to Halfords, pick their brains and then run away are buy one elsewhere.

Buy a puncture repair kit at the poundshop they are about £5 from cycle shops hmm

Helmets are cheap at toyrus and supermarkets!

Tortoise Sun 26-Jul-09 22:34:35

I think the child seats which go on the middle bar look better than the seats at the back of the bike. I had for DD2 but it cracked up the back somehow!

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:35:08

DS has a helmet already, he has a bike he cant peddle.

I am about 5'6" I think? I measured my inside leg measurement and checked halfords site I think I need a 16". I dont know what size the one at ASDA is, I havent seen it, but I work with someone my height who got it and she loves it. Will just be riding it around my village, maybe some dusty paths but I am no adventurer!

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:35:47

the middle bar... is that between the handles?

(really am a bike novice!)

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:37:21

this is the asda one

Tortoise Sun 26-Jul-09 22:37:25

like this

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:39:42

right tortoise, firstly, I love that seat! but secondly shock I had no idea they were so expensive!!!!! I havent priced them yet I thought they'd be £30 or something. blush

shit shit shit

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:40:24

I really do like that seat though!

thisisyesterday Sun 26-Jul-09 22:42:42

this is the one that we have,. it really is fab

dizzymare Sun 26-Jul-09 22:42:42

Toys r Us sell adult bikes, infact they've got a nice one for £69 which comes with a free cycle helmet.

MissAnthrope Sun 26-Jul-09 22:43:05

There was an article about the asda bike in the Guardian the other day here, as well as a review.

I think you'd be much better off going to an independant bike shop and getting a good bike second hand.

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:43:08

asda have a seat like that for £65
crap I need more money! I need a helmet for me too!

Tortoise Sun 26-Jul-09 22:44:55

Might be cheaper ones on Ebay. That was just the first one that came up.
That is the one i wanted for DD2 after i got her other one. But by the time it cracked she was riding her own bike without stabilisers.

this is also a good option for smaller kids with their own bikes.

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 22:49:36

thanks for the link MissAnthrope, I am gutted as it was so affordable but I would rather know now! I've checked loads of second hand shop websites & they still seem £200+ but I will phone round tomorrow! Will also look at TrU

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 23:04:53

most of the seats I see say up to 15kilos or 3 years... DS is 3 in 2 weeks... what should I do?

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 23:12:33

is this a front or back seat?

Tortoise Sun 26-Jul-09 23:29:30

That seat goes on the back of a bike.
Depends if DS is over 15kgs really. My DD2 is a skinny little thing so was ok in hers over 3.

hereidrawtheline Sun 26-Jul-09 23:31:42

I wonder if this one is good here

PeggersAnonymous Mon 27-Jul-09 21:58:26

Go and have a look in person, or try the local paper/freecycle. I'm sure you'll find something within budget.

I have a good bike (Dawes) and mine was only just over £200 brand new.

For me, I wanted something well built as it's going to be on the road with both myself and dd on the back. I did initially try something quite a bit cheaper and had a few safety issues.

Best of luck

JeMenFous Mon 27-Jul-09 22:02:36

Get a lady's bike, you won't want to get your leg over a crossbar with a child adding weight to the bike.grin

Don't forget helmets both for you and your ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now