Talk

Advanced search

how do I make this one better?

(4 Posts)
Tissy Sun 22-May-05 20:51:44

someone (maybe me!) At some point told dd(3) that people die when they get very old..

It's my birthday next week, dd asks "what my number is going to be"- she means how old?

I tell her "42"

She says "is that very old?"

I say (somewhat distracted with my mind on something else) "oh yes, darling, very old..."

Dd- "Oh no, you're going to die then I won't have a Mummy"

Tried to explain that healthy people generally don't die in their 40's, but she wasn't convinced and now doesn't want me to have a birthday- won't harbour any kind of talk about my cake, cards, presents, etc...

What do I say, or shall I just ignore it and hope it goes away?

spagblog Sun 22-May-05 20:58:17

Aw bless her!

I told my DD (also 3) that when people/things get really old they stop working properly and then they die
Maybe you could just re-assure her that you are working properly and leave it at that.

Trying to explain things to a three year old can be tricky!

tamum Sun 22-May-05 20:58:25

Is your mum still alive Tissy? Could you point that out and maybe that would help? If not then I think you have to keep talking about it, not incessantly, obviously, but give her a chance to air he worries and just keep dealing with them as you have been.

Blu Sun 22-May-05 21:14:09

Ooops, this could so easily be me. DS is obsessed with the death thing, too. I thiink Tamum's idea is a good one except that you run the risk of getting her to worry about a g'parent dying?
Tell her you were joking and that 42 is NOT old at all (which it isn't), and demonstrate in some v ott way how fit and healthy you are? Show her some pics of some v old people who are not relations and show how old you can be and still alive/

And perhaps tell her that you won't be ready to die until she herself is very very grown up and almost old herself?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: