Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bunty, Judy and Jackie

(85 Posts)
happymerryberries Sun 22-May-05 13:41:28

The comics of our youth (or at least old farts like me!)

Anyone else remember the 4 Marys?

And almost all of them seemed to have a story about a working class 'gal' who was a brilliant runner coached by a strange, bitter coach who walked with a cane.

And Jackie talked about boys! Cathy and Claire!

hunkermunker Sun 22-May-05 13:42:34

Oh yes! My dad said Judy was a waste of money (but it was my favourite!) so I used to buy it secretly

moozoboozo Sun 22-May-05 13:45:28

I used to love the 4 marys!!

I used to love the "spooky" tales as well. Mind you, when Mandy and Judy amalgamted, it just wasnt the same.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 22-May-05 13:45:52

They were fantastic. I only ever bought the Bunty/Judy/whatever annual because I didn't have the patience to wait for the next week to get the next bit of the stories. But yes, I remember the 4 Marys.

Bought Jackie every week without fail, along with the beano or buster.

Didn't C&C tell you to "practice" snogging with a pillow?

Loved the photo stories too. And I still do my eye makeup how Jackie said to do it (when i can be bothered).

happymerryberries Sun 22-May-05 13:52:21

Indulge in some nostalgia

\linkhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/features/girls_comics.shtml\girls comics}

happymerryberries Sun 22-May-05 13:53:16

Damn
comics

Mum2girls Sun 22-May-05 14:09:20

Anyone remember 'Melanie'? It was actually a comic foe older girls, but the man in 'the papershop' gave my dad an issue free and I managed to get him to buy if for me thereafter.

Got Jackie (and Twinkle when a 4/5yo), and my brother and I shared the Beano and Dandy and Whizzer and Chips.

maddiemo Sun 22-May-05 14:15:23

I ised to get Twinkle when I was little. As I got older I had Mandy, Judy, Tracey and Bunty. I loved the four Marys. At xmas I would get a Misty annual.
My sister used to read Jackie and then Just seventeen.
Don't remeber Melanie though.

moozoboozo Sun 22-May-05 14:19:36

I used to read Just Seventeen, but I had to hide it from my parents as they talked about periods and S.E.X.

<<snigger>>

Caligula Sun 22-May-05 14:19:59

I used to get Jinty and Lindy (1 comic, amalgam of 2) and Bunty. There was always a heroic story of a girl who had to overcome adversity to become a great ice-skater or ballerina, and one of them (I think it was Bunty) had the Cat, a French resistance member who went to school in the daytime - am I making that up? Can girl's comics possibly have had the French resistance as the background to the storyline?

pixiefish Sun 22-May-05 14:20:41

yep hmb- those were the days

sparklymieow Sun 22-May-05 14:20:59

My dad used to say that Just Seventeen was for older girls....... still brought it though....

Yorkiegirl Sun 22-May-05 14:21:47

Message withdrawn

maddiemo Sun 22-May-05 14:25:51

I've still got my old annuals in the loft. Will go up and have a quiet read later

Caribbeanqueen Sun 22-May-05 14:27:52

Used to read Jacky every week.

Does anyone remember another one called Patches or am I making that up?

SenoraPostrophe Sun 22-May-05 14:28:22

yes . never looked that good though so i didn't buy it!

Carla Sun 22-May-05 14:30:52

Caligula, so few people have heard of Jinty. It was the best!!

Caribbeanqueen Sun 22-May-05 14:31:32

And there were the cut-out clothes for the doll models at the back of them, I used to collect those.

SenoraPostrophe, just realised I forgot about your B&B search. Really sorry - did you get somewhere?

suedonim Sun 22-May-05 14:31:48

I was a Bunty girl, Judy just didn't cut it for me! I got hooked on Bunty when I was seven. I was quite poorly with whooping cough for several weeks and my mum bought a copy to cheer me up. Did anyone else have shoeboxes full of the cut-out Bunty and her clothes??

Before Bunty, my bro and I had "Look and Learn" and something I think was called "Harold Hare"!?! My bro later had Eagle comics which I thought was posh as it had colour pics and shiney paper.

Spacecadet Sun 22-May-05 14:53:38

mum bought me twinkle when i was about 5, you got a little badge saying you were part of the twinkle club! then i got bunty, and yes i had loads of her cut out clothes!!!!!!!!when i was 12 i went through my tomboy phase and would only read the beano!!!!!!!, then i used to get look in, any one remember that, it was apop mag, then at 14 i graduated to just 17, before moving onto new musical express and melody maker at 16 when i became a goth!!!!!!!!!!

SenoraPostrophe Sun 22-May-05 14:55:01

cq - it's OK - I decided to stay at my dad's and get up early. I didn't get my pint of ale, but I did get a nice home-cooked meal that i didn't have to cook!

Caligula Sun 22-May-05 14:57:02

They never had position of the month in Jackie, either.

saadia Sun 22-May-05 15:20:49

Oh I loved Bunty - used to wait for it eagerly every week, my brother used to get Whizzer and Chips and my sister got Smash Hits. We would sit there eating our sweets and reading our mags. Also read Jackie, Just Seventeen and sometimes Girl. Also read something called World of Knowledge for several weeks. My brother and I insisted on having a copy each so my poor (cash-strapped) mum would buy two copies every week.

Aero Sun 22-May-05 16:19:49

Loved and read them all - My Granny was a newsagent, so I was brought up in comic heaven!! Favourites were Judy, Mandy, Bunty and Tracey. Those were the days - why on earth did they stop printing them!!??

happymerryberries Sun 22-May-05 16:23:48

At the risk of sounding like a real old fart, because kids are not allowed to be kids any more.

Little girls of 10 or so are getting info on boy bands and make up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now