Talk

Advanced search

please could some one give me some quick advise for my sister who is on her hols........

(18 Posts)
anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 09:12:22

They went to a self catering cottage in Norfolk on Saturday. Spent 3 nights there and have got flea bites

My Neice has 30! and brother in law has them also. when they stood still in the room they could see them, also in the valence at the bottom of the sofa , were Neice and BIL sat.

If they toched one it jumped and BIL has seen fleas before so knew what they were
My sis has no pets! But there were dog hairs on the carpet there

they my sister saw on on her pj's in the bedroom, they could not stay there and travleed 15 miles to find a travel inn which cost £67 , they will have to stay there tonight also.

They rung the owner before who got funny with them and said they must have brought the fleas in! They are meeting her at 2pm.

So they want their holiday money back, what about the food in the fridge that will be trown away? the travel inn fee's?

They have a flea in a pot and have took photos of the bites

Please could someone advise on what to say? do they mention solicitors? ......Help!

thank you

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 09:34:54

smile

LIZS Wed 22-Jul-09 09:40:09

Did they book it direct with the owner or through a website/agency ? Does it accept pets ( ie maybe a previous occupant's dog brought them ). They could certainly mention small claims to recoup their additional costs like hotel but not sure about any more than that unless she offers a refund.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 09:41:34

they need to quote the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, on the basis that the accomodation was not of a satisfactory standard. I'm assuming the renter is operating as a business?

bes thting to do, is stay polite and friendly, and give a notice in writing, quoting the act, and requesting compensation to be paid within x amount, or further action will be taken.

I need to check to see what is recoverable under the act, been a while since I covered it! I'm a law student btw.

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 09:44:21

thanks Chops! I look forward to the rest! will ring them with this now!!
thank you thank you

ChopsTheDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 09:46:22

she cna claim back the cost of the accomodation and damages which would cover the alternative cost.

It would be for the court to decide if the property was not fit for purpose (on a reasonableness principle, what a reasonable person would think about it) and what constitutes reasonable damages.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 09:49:30

can they get pics of the fleas in the property too? Would help, because the evidence you ahve atm doesn't necessarily relate to that property.

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 09:53:43

cant thank you enough, I have rung her and she ahs written it all down and is off buy some paper and find a photocopier!!!!

thank you, will let you know how they get on
xx

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 09:54:40

they have to go back to the cottage today to collect the rest of their stuff, so she will take some more photos then,,thank you

ChopsTheDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 09:58:56

no, worries, let me know if you need any more help.

If they don't get a refund the small claims procedure is realy easy and they don't need a solicitor to file it. It isn't hugely expensive to file and they can claim that back as well. Make sure she stands her ground and good luck to her! smile

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 13:40:56

you are a star thankyou

they meet with ehr in 20 mins, what a horrible holiday for them!

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 15:32:58

turned out ok...... the lady had a man with her who was a fumigator person, he found the fleas, said the whole place needed fumigating.

The lady was very apologetic

they could have gone in after 4 hours but they didnt fancy it!

they asked for their money back and she gave them the 2 weeks plus £67 to cover a night in the travel lodge

thank you so much for your help

Katymac Wed 22-Jul-09 15:51:40

anniebear do they still need something in Norfolk to stay in - I know some very nice places

ChopsTheDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 16:20:18

I'm really glad they got it all sorted out for them. Hope they have better luck next time! Norfolk is such a lvoely area, I grew up there, and I'm off up there next weekend!

anniebear Wed 22-Jul-09 21:25:26

thats kind of you Katy, I think they have decided to come home tomorrow and then have a short break somewhere next week

thank you Chops, you have been great

Katymac Wed 22-Jul-09 21:28:39

What a shame - there are some lovely places to stay close by - where were they?

ploppypants Wed 22-Jul-09 21:31:52

Sudocrem on those bites now. To be fair to the woman, fleas can live for up to two years in the carpets and only wake up when they smell the prospect of a meal. But how horrible!

anniebear Thu 23-Jul-09 09:43:16

Not sure where they were

I felt sorry for the lady Ploppypants, My sister had paid her £600 and wasnt expecting a house of fleas!!the poor lady after being a bit funny over it felt awful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now