Talk

Advanced search

my dog has cancer

(10 Posts)
brambles Sat 21-May-05 08:31:38

i have to share this its really upsetting me.we found a lump on my beloved dogs leg about 2 weeks ago he was so scared going to the vet but we knew we had to have it removed so the poor thing had a bucket on his head for a week we were told to go back to have the stiches removed i was so glad it was over ben would be back to normal bouncing around dog the day before the stiches coming out they told us the bad news the lump was a tumor and that they had found another one fair enough the other lump would be removed and he would be fine i had got my head around it ben was not happy having to go back and do it all again. on wednesday the vet rung me to tell me he has mast cancer and its spreading very quickly all over his body ,he is on 3 medications a day lucky at this stage he is not feeling unwell she said ben has 3 months left i dread the day he has to go has anyone been through this i dont know anyone else with a dog

geekgrrl Sat 21-May-05 08:39:50

hi bramble, mine/my parents' dog had cancer, she was quite old - 13 or 14 - when she died. She also had lumps that you could feel, for at least a year I think. Sorry to hear about your dog. Must have been absolutely gutting to hear.

charleepeters Sat 21-May-05 08:43:07

sorry to here about your dog, we just lost our 14 year old collie to bone cancer and i now how upsetting it can be

huggs for you and your family and your dog

bubblerock Sat 21-May-05 08:47:54

Oh Brambles how awful . My neighbour found a lump in her dogs breast which turned out to be cancer, it was a really difficult time as it was ultimately her decision when to have her put down - ie at which stage it became to distressing for the dog, which is so difficult as they can't communicate.
Just take each day as it comes and spoil him rotten, you know you can get support here. (((())))

brambles Sat 21-May-05 08:56:59

thank you for your replies it does help to hear from other people poor ben he is only 6 my beautiful chocy lab i feel like he has gone already i wont let him out of my site i am sure he knows something is wrong hes never had so much attention and steak!

bubblerock Sat 21-May-05 09:00:15

Is it common in labs? My neighbours was a black lab and she wasn't that old either!

brambles Sat 21-May-05 09:01:13

i not sure they said its more common in boxers

bubblerock Sat 21-May-05 09:04:10

Keep giving him the steak!! Although whenever we gave my old dog steak he used to get major 'empty the room' wind

SleepyJess Sat 21-May-05 09:05:26

Brambles.. just wanted to to send ((((((hugs))))). I know what it's like to lose a much loved dog.

I know you still have precious time with Ben yet, but when we lost our dog someone gave us this.. so I thought I would cope and paste it, in the hopes that it will help you to prepare for the day you have to say goodbye to Ben. Hope it helps ((hugs))

SJ x

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

brambles Sat 21-May-05 12:48:13

thank you i will keep it although it has made me cry its beautiful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now