Talk

Advanced search

So are we being ripped off in Ireland (again). What do you UK mums pay for Phenergan?

(15 Posts)
Buddleja Sun 19-Jul-09 20:57:20

I just coughed up ?8.01 (not sure why that 1 cent is there!!) anyway that's about £6.95 for a 100ml 5mg/ml bottle of Phenergan for DS2 (bolding skipping the visiting GP so he could tell me to get it and for me to pay him ?55 for him to do so)

Anyway what do you paid in the UK for this - tell me so that I can regret ever meeting, falling in love with and having children with an Irish man and living in is country and not mine

Buddleja Sun 19-Jul-09 20:58:25

That ? was a euro sign - not sure why it changed itself!!!!

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 19-Jul-09 21:18:58

I thought it was prescription-only in the UK? If so it'd be the standard £7.20 prescription charge, so you come out narrowly ahead. I may be wrong, though.

Dineysor Sun 19-Jul-09 21:19:38

we dont pay.
why do oyu need it? isnt it a tranquiliser

Olihan Sun 19-Jul-09 21:19:56

You can't buy it here, afaik. It's prescription only and therefore free.

Which probably doesn't make you feel any better smile.

Buddleja Sun 19-Jul-09 22:10:59

It's an antihistanine (spelling!!) also used for travel sickness

Brought over the counter here hmm makes me slightly concerned it's percription only in the UK!!!

Stupid medical charges here in Ireland (always the forefront of my arguments for reasons for moving back home with DH!!)

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 19-Jul-09 22:17:21

The UK system does tend to assume that parents are just chomping at the bit to poison their children at the first chance they get, so pretty much anything stronger than a pat on the head and kissing it better is prescription only or just Not For Use By Under Twos Sixes Twelves (the age that things are Not To Be Used Before changes regularly, too).

(Disclaimer: I am aware that this is a massive overgeneralisation)

LadyMuck Sun 19-Jul-09 22:19:21

Thought that you could get the pharmacist to give it to you. According to Chemist Direct the UK RRP is £2.82

seeker Sun 19-Jul-09 22:19:26

Don't care how much it does or doesn't cost, i wouldn't give it to a child of mine unless a doctor said it was essential.

Buddleja Sun 19-Jul-09 22:25:39

Bit of a nanny state so? Might not mention that to DH during the next argument wink

Oh the flip side here a lot of people have to wait until their children are really sick to go to GP due to cost of GP and drugs (last bout of tonsillitus cost me 150euro sad

brimfull Sun 19-Jul-09 22:33:05

Phenergan has quite a strong sedative effect.
I have taken it myself and the child's dose knocked me out.

Cetirizine is the more commonly used anti-histamine for children here as it has no sedative side-effect.

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 19-Jul-09 22:37:51

Cetirizine doesn't work for travel sickness the same way that promethazine does, though, does it?

Friendlypizzaeater Sun 19-Jul-09 22:37:51

Pherergan can be used for vertigo and can be bought over the counter. I have bought it at Boots for about £3.00

brimfull Sun 19-Jul-09 22:39:21

ButterbeerAndLemon-no you're right, I thought OP was using as anti-histamine ,sorry.

Buddleja Sun 19-Jul-09 22:43:18

I'm travelling on weds

£3 - the robbing so and sos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travelling to england ironically - though I suppose I'd rather not be vom'ed on for the sake of 3 and a bit pounds!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now