Talk

Advanced search

my memory stick has just come out of the washing machine 8-(..is it dead??

(11 Posts)
PinkChick Fri 17-Jul-09 11:07:49

havent plugged it in yet, got it on hot radiator..will it be kappup? sad

PinkChick Fri 17-Jul-09 11:08:29

kapput even

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Fri 17-Jul-09 11:10:24

I wouldn't heat it up, just leave it a day or two to dry out naturally.

If you web search for drying out soggy mobiles there are a lot of tips out there. TBH I would think a memory stick would be less vulnerable to water damage than a mobile anyway...

inthepink Fri 17-Jul-09 11:13:55

I washed dh's memory stick by accident and he said that it still works, just left it to dry naturally for a couple of days (can't remember if it also went into the dryer too grin) hth

PinkChick Fri 17-Jul-09 11:28:38

thankyou smile..its just resting on top or radiator at minute, put heating on as weather grotty anyway..i know water can ruin mobiles, just didnt know if these were same, less componants but wasnt sure..didnt wnt to plug it in just yet incase there is water in it and it may then get into laptop?

scienceteacher Fri 17-Jul-09 11:30:30

I would not be surprised if it worked fine, but that the data was wiped by the magnetic fields in the washing machine.

You won't know until you try it.

GreenMonkies Fri 17-Jul-09 11:32:14

a few of ours have been washed, as have blue tooth headsets and they have been fine after, once dried out!!

Snorbs Fri 17-Jul-09 12:17:09

The magnetic fields from the washing machine's motor shouldn't affect the data, as memory sticks don't use magnetic media.

Just shake out any remaining drops of water then leave it somewhere warm (but not hot). Airing cupboard temperature is ideal. If you've got any of those little sachets of silica gel you get when you buy cameras or other consumer electronics, put them in a small cardboard box with the memory stick as well, but it's not vital.

Give it a few days to gently dry out and then try it. Chances are it'll be fine.

scienceteacher Fri 17-Jul-09 12:31:17

Ah, thanks for that, snorbs.

PinkChick Fri 17-Jul-09 13:21:19

just tried it after shaking it first and nothing came out and all my stuff was still there smile...have it all double backed up but felt stupid telling everyone id washed it LOL..it has a lid on it which is fairly tight although not totally water tight, but i think this saved it quite a bit smile...thankyou all again.x

Overmydeadbody Fri 17-Jul-09 13:22:51

my memory stick has survived a few trips in the wshing machine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now