Talk

Advanced search

Door to door salesmen - does anyone ever buy ?

(6 Posts)
LIZS Wed 15-Jul-09 18:30:29

We seem to fairly regularly get a group of young men call by, apparently on an ex offenders rehabilitation scheme , usually saying they are from Middlesbrough. They carry bags full of cleanign products which they are encouraging you to view and buy. Has anyone ever purchased from similar and are they bona fide ?

EldonAve Wed 15-Jul-09 18:31:40

not sure, we get them here too

FritesMenthe Wed 15-Jul-09 18:32:59

Have seen them, but never bought. Seems a bit suspect. Why would they ship these people around the country to flog dusters?

Stinkyfeet Wed 15-Jul-09 18:34:34

Yes, I bought some micro-fibre cloths from one - he was very charming and polite! Didn't pay cash - he said most people prefer to pay by cheque! And the cloths are fab.

Stinkyfeet Wed 15-Jul-09 18:38:14

Apparently they don't earn anything from it - money all goes back into the scheme, I think. The idea is that if they sell a certain amount, they can then get a place on an apprenticeship. I suppose it's all about committing to something and seeing it through. That's what I can remember from what he told me anyway.

Niecie Wed 15-Jul-09 18:38:51

I have bought something - some gardening gloves which were great. Very tough.

Don't know if they were bona fide but I got a decent pair of gardening gloves and he got his money. Unless the stuff was stolen, I don't think there is much that can go wrong.

I doubt it is stolen actually - you wouldn't go from door to door flogging dodgy stuff, would you? How do you know where all the policemen live?!

The only thing that bothers me is that they tip all their mates off that I was a soft touch and would buy anything and I get a steady stream of them coming to the door but that hasn't happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now