Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do your boys play with dollshouses?

(35 Posts)
littlelamb Wed 15-Jul-09 18:22:18

I am in the process of having a big clearout and I'm trying to decide which of dd's toys to save for ds. She has a pink wooden dolls house that has been neglected for a while now and she's said I can get rid of it. I hate having 'girls' toys and 'boys' toys but I have a friend who works in a nursery who has told me that boys rarely play with the role play toys. Is that really true? We just about have space to keep it, but I don't know if I should. Ds is only 13 months atm and not interested in any toys, being more of a spoon and saucepan kind of baby wink

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 15-Jul-09 18:27:39

My 2 and a half yo ds loves his sister's ELC Rose Cottage and My Little Pony Rainbow Dream House. He also spends a lot of time playing with cars etc - but often in a roleplay way (eg the big motorbike is daddy, the little one is the baby motorbike etc).

I think maybe the gender divisions are heightened when there's a big group of children and toys available for both genders, but at home they mix up a lot more.

purepurple Wed 15-Jul-09 18:31:16

I work in a nursery and I find that the boys do play with the doll's house, and the farm.
In fact, our doll's house is used all the time by the boys.
They like barricading the people in the rooms with the wooden furniture and they like piling the furniture in towers, but they do play with it.
I don't believe in boys and girls toys either.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 15-Jul-09 18:33:13

My DS is 7 and rather fond of playing with the dolls house.

Bramshott Wed 15-Jul-09 18:35:00

My DB is 23 and recently complained that DD1 had "his" doll's house grin!

saintdobby Wed 15-Jul-09 18:35:47

Neither do I so i bought a very beautiful dolls' house for ds1 when he was 3

sadly neither he nor ds2 played with it much, but then they didn't do much imaginative stuff at all. If your ds does, he'd prob like it

but dd loves it grin

bedjumper Wed 15-Jul-09 18:36:13

my two both LOVE the dolls house at tots group.
if i had found one that isnt pink i would have bought one for them by now

madameDefarge Wed 15-Jul-09 18:38:28

Ds has a very Scandinavian style dolls house, which is the scene of many an atrocity action-packed adventure.

I really hate the idea that dolls houses are for girls. We all live in houses of some sort, boys and girls use them to explore their world through play.

TDiddyIsaMan Wed 15-Jul-09 18:40:19

Bramshott grin grin

my youngest (5yrs) is big on this espcially playing kitchen.

plays alot with his older sister (7yrs). he is completely uninhibited: he said he will marry his sister, then he went and asked a girl in his class to marry him.

madameDefarge Wed 15-Jul-09 18:41:49

Tdiddy, they are so fickle at this age!

TwoJobsOneManOneBump Wed 15-Jul-09 18:42:41

I'm staying with a friend at the moment who has a dd of 7 and ds of 4. Clearly he looks up to his big sis, but still it's surprising how girly he is. He dresses up in all the princess/nurse/ballerina costumes with her and her friends, and this summer (yikes, this is probably identifiable!) he's doing a three-day High School Musical camp - on his own request, without sis. Yesterday he recounted how the girls in his nursery class had said the boys weren't allowed in the playhouse so the boys have apparently started to think about finding some corner of the classroom that they can exclude the girls from!

I'd like to truly not believe in boys and girls toys (one of my jobs is a Reservist army officer) but such a girlified boy example still makes me double-take. Is it ever so slightly more socially acceptable for girls to take on boys toys than for boys to be girly?

spicemonster Wed 15-Jul-09 19:01:23

My DS really likes playing with them at other people's houses. If he weren't an only and they weren't quite pricey, I'd definitely buy him one. I might see what I can find on ebay.

He also has a lot of stuff and our flat isn't very big ...

ButterbeerAndLemon Wed 15-Jul-09 19:16:22

DS plays with the dolls' house at nursery quite a lot. Granted, he does pretend that the wardrobe is the TARDIS... (hmm) He plays with his cousin's dolls' house too. I would buy him one but he has a castle already that he plays much the same sort of games with

TDiddyIsaMan Wed 15-Jul-09 19:25:01

madameDefarge wrote "they are so fickle at this age!"

I am afraid the fickleness often lasts a lifetime with many of us men smile

nickytwotimes Wed 15-Jul-09 19:26:38

My 3 year old loves doll's houses.
I got him his own from the charity shop as whenever he gets within 100ft of one, he goes for it.

madameDefarge Wed 15-Jul-09 19:45:52

Ah, Tdiddy, I was sort of referring to kids of both genders!

I would never make such a sexist comment! After all, I have a ds, and I happen to quite like men. In their place.

PrettyCandles Wed 15-Jul-09 19:49:49

8yo ds1 would happily play with dd's dolls' house if she would let him. I doubt he would play with it with her, but he certainly would do so alone. 2yo ds2 would do so too, alone or with any other child.

A lot of the time I thik boys won't play with girl's toys becaus eof peer pressure, which can start at a very early age.

If you have the space than I think it'sworth keeping the doll house, especially as it would probably be an opportunity fo r your ds to play with a toy which he may not play with at nursery.

TDiddyIsaMan Wed 15-Jul-09 20:11:50

madameDefarge grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 20:25:10

My 8 year old will sometimes play with DD's doll house, as will my 4 year old.

You could always paint it a unisex colour..

Greensleeves Wed 15-Jul-09 20:27:53

your friend is wrong grin

children play with toys, unless they are given subliminal messages that they shouldn't playing with certain ones IMO

both of my boys do role-playing and imaginative play a lot - more than any other type of play - and get on famously with my friend's three dds who are also very imaginative and into weaving elaborate scenarios (although my boys would be more likely to play with a dolls house than her girls)

ABetaDad Wed 15-Jul-09 20:28:53

Yes DS2 likes his. DS1 never touched it. We have no girls but bought them a dolls house. DS2 likes it when girls come to stay as they play with him and the dolls house.

He already says he wants to be an architect or a designer when he grows up. grin

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Jul-09 20:29:16

Message withdrawn

lockets Wed 15-Jul-09 20:29:20

Message withdrawn

Greensleeves Wed 15-Jul-09 20:29:29

ABD my ds1 wants to be an architect! grin

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Jul-09 20:29:51

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now