Advanced search

Buying an engagement ring in london? Getting value for money....

(27 Posts)
crazylovelifelady Tue 14-Jul-09 19:59:56

So I will be getting engaged soon and have been looking at rings. I have heard that there are places in Hatton garden where you can get a ring made for you, and you can choose the size, type of band etc.

Can anyone recommend a good jewellers with reasonable prices?

I saw a 1ct rind that I like today in earnest jones for £1900. And have been told in Hatton gardens I could probably get the same rind for half the price. Any advice welcome... smile

Hotcrossbunny Tue 14-Jul-09 20:06:11

My engagement ring came from Hatton Garden about 14 years ago. It was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. Would definitely recommend it! We ended up in all sorts of funny shops, being shown the most beautiful individual jewels in velvet bags. They will then make them up into virtually any setting you want.

No idea if it's still like that, but would go and have a look. Congratulations BTW!

crazylovelifelady Tue 14-Jul-09 20:09:11

Hotcross - Thank you. I was so excited just looking at rings but to have one made espically for me would be great...

I know it was a while ago now, but did you find you got much better value for your money there?

GypsyMoth Tue 14-Jul-09 20:09:34

I would just head straight to Tiffanys.....

crazylovelifelady Tue 14-Jul-09 20:13:36

lol I dont think the budget would strech that far, I think he is hoping to spend around £2,000.

poppy34 Tue 14-Jul-09 20:16:38

Have you thought about antique rings? You can often get something unusual for same sort of money.

castlesintheair Tue 14-Jul-09 20:16:56

You will get that kind of service in HG and best value in London, probably, but for even better value go to Antwerp.

rodgershawk Tue 14-Jul-09 20:20:38

Hatton garden is the best bet.

We went for my eternity ring and wished we went there for the engagement ring as it would have been much better value for money!

We got our eternity ring for one third of the value. They gave us a valuation too and have had it checked out and it is right.. we paid one third!

You get to choose diamonds/setting/design.

crazylovelifelady Tue 14-Jul-09 20:34:32

poppy - Not too sure about antique rings as wanted something brand new, which has been made just for me.

castles - Where is Antwerp? I have never heard of it?

rodger - one third sounds good, and did you get a certificate with your ring as well?

Its so exciting, I wish I could find one of these jewellers online as I'm so excited I cant wait to find out everthing about rings and designing them.... smile

castlesintheair Tue 14-Jul-09 20:41:36

Antwerp is in Belgium. It's the world's diamond capital.

Babbity Tue 14-Jul-09 20:47:45

I got mine at in Hatton Garden. Got my wedding ring at the wedding ring workshop which has a sister shop doing diamond engagement rings. Can recommend both

My sister's gorgeous antique/ art deco ring came from also in HG

crazylovelifelady Tue 14-Jul-09 20:49:37

oh really I didnt know that, so how much cheaper do you think you would get rings for?

Would you be able to post a link to a website to give me an idea if possible? Sorry I am just so excited about it all.... smile

Chrysanthemums Tue 14-Jul-09 20:50:24

Someone said the other day that you can get fair trade diamonds - and ought to, because the rest are sourced from war zones or similar, people are being killed to get those diamonds.

Please google fair trade diamonds and have a look, I didn't know about this till someone on here pointed it out.

Chrysanthemums Tue 14-Jul-09 20:53:23

Congrats btw! blush sorry to rain on parade, didn't mean it that way.

lulurose Tue 14-Jul-09 20:54:09

I chose my engagement ring in Hatton gardens 6 years ago...we went back to the same shop for wedding rings and DH bought me an eternity ring after DD1 was born there too.

The shop was Bernstones, very old fashioned shop but great service. I chose a platinum band with a square cut largish diamond...can't remember but think it came in at under £3000. Congratulations!

suzybsue Tue 14-Jul-09 20:55:54

Hatton Garden is def worth a visit.
All the shops are very helpful and not overly pushy. How far do you live from London?

castlesintheair Tue 14-Jul-09 20:58:06

You just wonder round the Jewish Quarter of Antwerp which is basically the diamond centre. Don't go on a Saturday!

There are loads of places. If you google Antwerp Diamonds you'll get a list but here is an example diamond land

Have fun!

Thandeka Tue 14-Jul-09 21:00:18

My step father in law is a jeweller and does loads of work for Boodles etc. (he is freelance based in Somerset but his work is amazing (non biased emoticon))

He may be able to do something for you-
post pics of the sort of things you are looking for and I can ask?

Chrysanthemums Tue 14-Jul-09 21:10:19

If you fancy a little trip to Canterbury, this place is very special.

We know the family who run it - lovely, lovely sweet people, and they have a strict fair trade and conflict-free policy.

crazylovelifelady Wed 15-Jul-09 12:16:02

Thank you to everyone for the replies, sorry I disappeared yesterday, my computer crashed...

annh Wed 15-Jul-09 15:59:57

My engagement ring came from Antwerp because we lived in Belgium at the time and a diamond trader friend did dh a good a deal on the stone. On the whole however, I am not convinced that it is much cheaper unless perhaps you are buying the stone without a setting. Also they price in Euros which are very strong at the moment. Second what Castles said about not going on Sat, not because it is busy but because most places are closed because fo Jewish Sabbath.

Pinkjenny Wed 15-Jul-09 16:01:59

My engagement ring came from the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, made for me.

Oooh, I'm so excited for you! Post a pic when you finally get it!

scaryteacher Thu 16-Jul-09 01:00:54

I got my 40th birthday diamond earrings made in Antwerp 2 years ago. Chose the stones, sorted a setting, went and got the cash, and they were made in 3 hours. Fab.

You also get a nice weekend away in a city with great shopping and excellent beer!

lulalullabye Thu 16-Jul-09 01:46:47

I got my engagement ring in hatton garden in 2002. I recently had it valued for a new insurance policy and they valued it (realistic, different to insurance) at nearly £900 more than I paid !

Try to get a certificated diamond if you can as they hold there vlue better.

P.s Jade jewellery.

DHLondon Tue 16-Dec-14 12:04:57

I might be a little late on this thread but Diamond Heaven London recently opened up in Hatton Garden for anyone else visiting this thread...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now