Talk

Advanced search

Mum wants to rent out her other room to students........any tips???

(9 Posts)
99PlsAdvise Fri 10-Jul-09 22:50:43

Hi ,

Mum wants to rent her other room out to students but we dont know where to start. Any tips from anyone????

Thanks in advance smile

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 10-Jul-09 22:52:14

written tenancy agreement
rules in writing and signed agreement
deposit
rent in advance

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 10-Jul-09 22:53:07

oh, and advertising - students union? local paper? college message boards? internet?

lisad123 Fri 10-Jul-09 22:53:22

yeah dont do it
sorry not much help. My experience of students is not great.

Qally Fri 10-Jul-09 23:09:14

Professionals are waaaaay better than students, having had both. Out all day, tend to be very respectful of the property, normal hours. Cost less as well, due to said being out more - you have to keep them warm in winter when they're paying you.

DH and I had lodgers before ds arrived, and mostly loved them. One stayed a year and left for work reasons, another two years and bought her own place, and then her best friend moved in and left last October, a month before ds arrived - she was a research scientist, but way past the student phase. They've all stayed friends, and they're all lovely.

My main tip is watch what they do when they visit - do they hang coats up, are they smartly dressed. I'm a scruff bag myself but the one scruffy but fun girl we let move in was a disaster - dropped stuff all over the kitchen and just left it. When we asked her to clear up the bag of rice she'd left everywhere she didn't, and when we asked WTF a few days later over that and various other issues she said she didn't know where the dustpan and brush were, as if that was a perfect excuse (we had two, one in the utility room next to the loo, which she used, and one under the stairs.) The ones who care about their clothes being ironed and cared for will usually feel the same way about your kitchen. Which is my other rule - I decided not to expect any housework from them, just to regard it as a bonus, as long as they didn't actively create or leave mess. That way I was touched and pleased when they hoovered, rather than fuming that they didn't - they were paying the mortgage, after all. It was less aggro to view it like that. And actually one of them did more housework than we did - she was the perfect lodger, in fact. The other thing is we treated them very much as if it was their home that they shared with us. The first totally took the piss (the one we had to ask to leave - she actually had the nerve to ask how many people we were expecting over for my birthday because "I may mind if it's too many") but it was balanced by the fact that the others were scrupulously careful in return. They had dinner parties occasionally, friends over whenever they liked - all we asked was notice so we could vacate the dining room for them if they needed it.

Deposit and rent in advance is vital, IMO, as is checking their employer is legit if you go for the professional option. Also remember that a lodger has far fewer legal rights than a tenant in a house where the owner lives elsewhere. If it isn't working out, you can just ask them to go with a couple of weeks' notice (we gave 6, but that wasn't required).

Tell your insurers - you aren't covered if you don't, and usually all that happens is they insist burglary needs evidence of forced entry. And the rent a room scheme means around 4.5k per annum is untaxed, but you have to pay tax on any more than that. I don't actually know how the Revenue would check, but better safe than sorry.

Those keys that can't be copied are also handy. Most people are lovely - we never had any real trouble - but just in case.

DrNortherner Fri 10-Jul-09 23:15:35

Hi there. Wer have had lodgers and students and there are pros and cons for both imo.

We live near to an international language school so we host foreign students who are here to study English and it's great as you can get short or long term lets and the money is really good. We have to privide meals though for them.

Is there anything like this near your mum?

I would start by asking her to wite a manual of house rules to include the following:

What time they can use bathroom (if sharing the house one)
Laundry/ironing facilities
Curfew time (or they could roll home at ALL hours)
How much cleaning they are expected to do in their own room, how often linen should be changed and who is going to do it
Non smoking house
No friends back without notice

Also, if foreign and female, ime they need to be told how to dispose of sanitary prodcts or you end up with a blocked loo....

I'm sure I'll think of more......

99PlsAdvise Mon 13-Jul-09 14:17:50

Ah thanks guys grin

Im speaking to my mum today so i'll read all of this to her. Then go from there.

At the mo she works 2pm-10.30pm. Do you think it would be best a Professional due to the working hrs? Also how would she go about advertising for a Professional - local news papers.....

Iklboo Mon 13-Jul-09 14:22:12

My MIL houses foreign language students. They're allocated to her via the college and already have been given a list of rules, what they should expect from MIL etc
She's supposed to do half-board accommodation but MIL being MIL she also does all their washing & ironing, cleans their rooms etc. She evn had a cupboard converted to an en suite for them

HostFamiliesLTD Wed 21-Oct-15 14:57:38

Hey!

Hosting a lodger is a great way to make some extra cash and the first £4000 you earn is tax free!

However the most important factor in becoming a host family is that you can provide a safe and welcoming environment. For many guests this may be their first time visiting the UK or traveling without their parents, therefore getting their accommodation right is key to providing a great experience. Host Families offers friendly and helpful advice to make this transition into becoming a host as smooth as possible with starter packs, a dedicated housing team and regular updates through our newsletter.

So if you:

Can provide short term accommodation
Enjoy experiencing different cultures
Are willing to open up your home and provide a ‘home from home’
Like meeting new people
Want to earn up to £250 extra cash a week

Then you could become a host family, and we’d like to hear from you!

Visit our website to find out more on renting a room and becoming a host

www.hostfamiliesltd.com

Or send us an email at

Info@hostfamiliesltd.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now