Talk

Advanced search

Aaaahhhhhh - colleague doing my nut in - WWYD?

(3 Posts)
MadreInglese Fri 10-Jul-09 14:40:08

She's worked in the same office as me for a couple of years, but is right at the other end in another department and we have never had more than polite hello and smalltalk over the kettle type chats, I just don't think we are each other's type of friend IYSWIM

She has discovered that our children will both be starting at the same secondary school in september and is now my best bud. There is a water machine near her desk but she walks the length of the office to get water from the machine near me and gives me daily updates on what she thinks about the secondary school and every little detail about what her son has been up to. Today she emailed me just to let me know that his bus pass had come in the post hmm. She is now talking about getting together out of work so we can chat while the kids play (like you can shove together an 11 year old boy & girl who have never met and they will 'play'). I'm sure she's just very excited abour her child going to secondary school but it's starting to bug me. I'm trying to turn her down gently but if I say we're busy she just suggests alternative dates. I just don't feel like I want to have a friendship with this woman outside of work, but I can see another 7 years of school updates stretching ahead of me................

I'm just being a miserable old grump, aren't I?

WWYD?

Rhubarb Fri 10-Jul-09 14:42:06

If she's not your type you've just got to put her off. Smile politely when she tries to arrange a date and just say; "I'm sorry but I don't think so" and walk away.

I hate clingers!

MadreInglese Fri 10-Jul-09 14:48:43

I know you're right Rhubarb, I don't think she's going to take a subtle hint

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now